GAP talked my buddy out of a 300 RUM

There are people on this Forum in the know that contend that the wear and tear on a throat is much more dependent on the rate of repetitive fire without allowing the barrel to cool between shots, than it is on the cartridge's chamber pressure at 50,000 versus 65,000psi. Fiftydriver has sounded in on this topic a number of times while discussing barrel life with his Allen Magnums and other cartridges.

One of the links I provided in a prior post includes the statement of a competition shooter who has doubled the life of his melonite-treated barrel and is still using that barrel in competition with 1/4 moa accuracy after ~5000 rounds.

So I'm curious; how many rifle owners do you know that have had their barrel melonite treated and then shot their hunting rifle enough times to wear the bore out? You've hinted that you've not heard of experiences of increased bore life coming from melonite treated bores, but have you really had exposure to a number of clients or acquaintances who've melonite treated barrels on their bolt action rifles and then shot them to the point of needing to re-barrel. As recently as melonite treatment has become available to individual firearm owners, I'm trying to understand if your comments are based on intuition or gut feelings about the matter - or if you've been informed by others who've been disappointed with the life of their melonite treated barrels.

I hadn't even heard of the option of melonite treating my barrels until about 18 months ago.

One of the guys with Krieger barrels spoke with Rich (user name elkaholic) within the past month, and told him he thought that if done correctly, melonite treatment was good/worthwhile. Custom rifle barrel manufacturers ought to know a little about the melonite treatment process and the associated benefits.

So are your comments as to the lack of merit in melonite treatment based on gut feelings, or are they due to some negative feedback from owners of melonite treated barrels? I'd like to know, because I'm planning on spending the $100 in the relatively near future, but would rather spend the money on gas if you have substantial factual evidence that melonite treatment of the barrel results in no meaningful increase in barrel life.
The Rebuild of my 7mm STW is not too far in the distant future. When I do it, I'll probably go with the meloinite treatment as of all the larger bores I own it is the caliber with the worst reputation for eating barrels.

My only drawback is that I'd really prefer to cerakote the entire rig which becomes impossible after meloniting from what I read.

I wish they could find a way to do only the bore/chamber.

Have a good trip George, If I can get my application in sooner may-be I will catch up with you at a PRS shoot this year.

George,, where in wyoming are you elk hunting,and what outfitter are you using in 2012..the reason i,am asking is because i,ll be elk hunting in late september 2012,,,with dustin childs (trophy mountain outfitters) ..he,s in the jackson hole area and i,ll be using my 338 lapua you just built for me.

Have a great holiday and a safe trip out west and back.
I,am both surprised and glad to see you on this site.

Love the Internet, Im not bashing Melonite, Id love to have a barrel that lasted longer, the longer the better especially if its $100. Its great on bolts and recievers as its hardness makes them smoothe as glass.

Melonite is still surface hardness the heat is still there and the metal will still make the thermal changes. Some of you may know that FN hard Chromes the bores of its SPR rifles and Winchester tried it with there super short mags intended for Varmit shooting. Ive had the opurtunity to replace alot of those barrels and they all were wore out in the same fashion Heat erosion but with the added twist of flaking chrome. While this is different and not the same as Melonite it was done for the same reasons. The Military and the Fed Goverment has alot of gentlemen on the payroll that test everything. Why would they not be jumping all over the melonite barrel gig for their long range rifles if they were going to last alot longer. Evrn iff it didnt work out for the Bulet Hoses???

I do shoot close to 8,000 rounds a year, this year will be extra heavy with the PRS in full swing and practice for the F Class Worlds, Ill spin up a practice barrel and give her hell. I know that my barrels crap out between 2300-2800 if this one goes past 3000 I will be the first to jump for joy.

I know to some of you Im just a Tacticool Police Paper Puncher, ( I think thats what someone here called me) but thats really not the case at all. I despize shooting at anything less than 400 yards and I actully cannot remember the last time I shot a 308 that was not work related.

All of you guys have a Merry Christmas, Im flying out west for the Holidays and will be without the CPU so you guys have fun. Ill check back in in a week or so.

ScenarShooter, See you in the Spring. :)

George,

Show up a day or two early and we'll find some live targets to shoot before everybody shows up.
lasthunts057.jpg

lasthunts067.jpg
lasthunts049.jpg

FWIW, George does more than just punch paper and ring steel.

George,, where in wyoming are you elk hunting,and what outfitter are you using in 2012..the reason i,am asking is because i,ll be elk hunting in late september 2012,,,with dustin childs (trophy mountain outfitters) ..he,s in the jackson hole area and i,ll be using my 338 lapua you just built for me.

Have a great holiday and a safe trip out west and back.
I,am both surprised and glad to see you on this site.

The Wyoming Trip is for Speed Goats, Myself, Scenar Shooter and SendaroMan planned the trip this fall. Im not even sure of the dates Senderoman is my Wyoming conection.

Hope you smack a Granddaddy Elk on your trip!!

"Muzzle Brakes Suck" shedding a different light on it might be like myself. Working in the mining industry and construction industry before that, I have some hearing loss. A brake in front of a 100+ grain burner sure hurts my ears even when I have plugs in. Kind of why I own a suppressor, but not everyone can dump a grand on hearing protection. Just my .02 cents

Wish I would have looked at the dates first??

Brent

George's post on the first page pretty much sums up the issue for me.

Compare the wind drift of the 162AM at 3100fps from a 7WSM, and a 210gr Berger VLD at 3100fps from a .300RUM, and gets VERY difficult not to love the 7WSM. Especially when such performance comes at so cheap a price as far as powder consumption/recoil/muzzle blast/barrel life, etc is concerned.

A good bullet that impacts with enough velocity to violently expand in the vitals is going to kill. I don't much care how much energy is arrives with, or how big it is. Sure, a 300gr .338 bullet might kill game with a bit more noticeable authority than a 180gr 7mm, but if you wreck the vitals with either, the elk is going to have a bad day, and end up wrapped in freezer paper.

Pat's experience speaks volumes as to the effectiveness of the smaller rounds. A LOT of stuff has hit the dirt from long-range shots fired from Pat's .260's, 6mm's, and .308's.

This is what is great about America ... we have plenty of choices !!! :D

Plenty of quality gunsmiths/gunbuilders to choose from ...

Plenty of quality LR calibers to choose from ...

Plenty of quality bullets to choose from ...

Plenty of quality muzzle brakes (use it or not) to choose from ...

( ... and the list goes on ... )

What one does with those choices is a different story.

God bless this great nation for all the choices we have !!! lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.