Bringing my 300 Wea Mag out of mothballs

OP , not to long back I owned a 300 bee in a Vanguard, 24 inch blued bbl synthetic stock it averaged 3/4 ,and all I did was change out the Trigger to a Timney . Trigger Tech makes a trigger for your Mk/5 that's incredible . On bullets i stayed with 180 s & lighter figuring I'd push them faster , a. Cousin had a Md /70 push feed and he took many Elk with 165 Barnes x bullets , enjoy your Rifle, Cheers !!!

I've had really good luck with 86 grains of h1000 and a 190 berger vld at 3.650 oal (about 3050-3100 fps in a 26") in multiple mark v 300 weatherbys. Also 82.5 grains of Retumbo and a 210 berger vld around 2850 fps in a 26" same 3.650 oal. Also had a load for the 178 eldx with h1000 that shot great out of a sako chambered in 300 weatherby. Id have to look that one up for specs

Always start lower and work up** what works in mine might not in yours

I'm using H1000 with 200 grain AB currently. In Norma and Wby brass getting 3000 FPS with good case life. My current 300 Wby is a 26" Winchester model 70 with 26" barrel. H1000 has worked great in this rifle, RL 23 is the next best but has been impossible to find. I picked up a pound of StaBall HD and tried it in a 7 RM with good results. In the process of loading up some 210 ABLR with in the Wby. If you can find H1000 it is well worth trying, it is easy to work with and SD's in the single digits are kind of the norm with it. H4831 was my go to powder for years with 180 bullets but pressures would spike with heavier bullets. MRP, IMR 7828 and RL 22 had better results. IMO H1000 is the best powder for The Wby. Hoping the HD works out, would be nice to have an alternative powder that's made in the USA and maybe can be found a couple times a year.

In a recent post, I related my desire to rebarrel my 7 mm STW. After much deliberation, I decided not to change the barrel contour but to put a new diamond fluted bull barrel on my Remington action, shortening it to 24 in, with a twist of 1-8 and adding a muzzle brake, holes on sides and top only. Presently, My STW is at Hart Barrels getting that work done. Hopefully 8 to 9 months which leaves me no time to test my existing load or work up a new one for the fall hunting season.
Therefore, I have decided to take my 300 weatherby mag out of mothballs and it is now my winter project for my Utah hunt this year. I bought it in 1986 and used it out west, during 3 yearly hunts over the next 10 years into the mid-90s and it has been rarely taken to the range and not hunted with since then. I don't believe I have put 200 rounds through it. I have just ordered a Timney trigger for it and expect it next week, my first. I have always used Jewells.
My question now, revolves around working up a load for long range, out to a thousand yards. The last few years I have been kind of stuck on Hornady bullets, and I am leaning towards a 200 grain eld /x, but the 212 grain is also interesting. I am completely up in the air on powder. In the '80s I used mainly H,4831 and Sierra 200 grain bullets with decent results and briefly, 7828 with no good success. My goal is somewhere around 2900 to 3,000 FPS , maybe slightly less.

Does anyone have any input on a tried and true load they may have used?
8-9 months for HART to do the work? My gunsmith chambered and fit my bbl in less than a week

I'm not a weatherby guy, so I'm throwing crap against the wall.
Most Weatherby chamberings have long free bores by design and in factory rifles (SAAMI) configuration is hard to load near the lands and often restricted by COAL due to its magazine set-up.
Weatherby free bore.JPG

Having said that, my semi-custom .257 WBY is SAAMI spec, but with 145 Black Hole, it is .015" off the lands. The external magazine allowed me to have a more extended COAL threshold. SAAMI COAL is 3.17", and mine is at 3.34" at .015" off the lands.

Last edited:
I'm using H1000 with 200 grain AB currently. In Norma and Wby brass getting 3000 FPS with good case life. My current 300 Wby is a 26" Winchester model 70 with 26" barrel. H1000 has worked great in this rifle, RL 23 is the next best but has been impossible to find. I picked up a pound of StaBall HD and tried it in a 7 RM with good results. In the process of loading up some 210 ABLR with in the Wby. If you can find H1000 it is well worth trying, it is easy to work with and SD's in the single digits are kind of the norm with it. H4831 was my go to powder for years with 180 bullets but pressures would spike with heavier bullets. MRP, IMR 7828 and RL 22 had better results. IMO H1000 is the best powder for The Wby. Hoping the HD works out, would be nice to have an alternative powder that's made in the USA and maybe can be found a couple times a year.
I have settled on H1000 with a 212 ELD-X and I am still working on my node. I have been working my way down one 10th at a time from, 81.5 grns. 3/4 inch moa @81.4, half inch MOA at 81.3, and trying 81.2 tomorrow. I am at 3020 FPS right now. Col. 3.699 which is called for in the Hornady manual. It's just fine in the magazine. I found two more pounds of h1000 at a gun show yesterday.

I have settled on H1000 with a 212 ELD-X and I am still working on my node. I have been working my way down one 10th at a time from, 81.5 grns. 3/4 inch moa @81.4, half inch MOA at 81.3, and trying 81.2 tomorrow. I am at 3020 FPS right now. Col. 3.699 which is called for in the Hornady manual. It's just fine in the magazine. I found two more pounds of h1000 at a gun show yesterday.
That's actually pretty darn good.
1709641191940.png

Good luck!