Brass Quality....Norma vs Nosler

Ingwe

Hi Fellas!

I have been using Norma Brass exclusively in my M700 7mmRemMag but lately it is becoming hard to find. It seems that Nosler is always available somewhere and the prices are pretty much the same.

Do you guys think that Nosler is comparable to Norma in quality or should I hold off for Norma?

Thanks Fellas!

I believe Norma manufacturers Nosler brass. However, I've read Nosler is beginning to manufacture their own. I personally use Nosler if Lapua doesn't produce brass in the caliber I'm loading. Unfortunately Lapua doesn't manufacture brass for many calibers.

Nosler has been made by norma for years-- but they were supposed to weight sort, prep and polish it more than norma did (hence the "premium pricing")

but in 2013 Nosler bought out Silver State Armory and they started using SSA's machines to make brass for the "SSA" line of cartridges--at first it was really bad, I mean really really bad (at least in the 6.8spc brass)-- they improved upon the SSA brass some what a few years ago--BUT as far as I know Nosler still only makes the "SSA by Nosler" brass NOT the regualr Nosler brass on the SSA machines -- the "SSA by Nosler" only makes and sells 5.56 nato, 6.8spc, 300 aac, 308W, 30-06, and 7.62x39

If you are not opposed to 1x fired brass from premium rifles, then you can jump over to gunwerks website and buy once fired 7rm norma brass for 55c each in any quantity--it takes a while for them to ship (last time I did this it took 2-3 weeks to get the brass) but I got a killer deal last time (35c each) -- not sure why, but their price on 1x fired brass fluctuates quite a bit -- If you like Hornady 7rm brass they have overstock new brass for $40/100 also

Great responses guys! Maybe I'll save myself and order Noslers.

BTW: speaking of 1X fired brass. I full length size all of my brass anyway even when new...so will 1X fired brass have a different POI than new brass?

Have an insider that has stated the first batches of Nosler stamped brass was made by Federal. I know this is true because I sectioned one from the very first batches that made it to our shores here in Australia. The cases weighed the same, when sectioned looked the same and had the same internal profile.
The newer batches made by Norma are lighter, weigh the same as Norma stamped stuff in 300WM, 25-05 and 300RUM that I use for my 338 Edge.
I doubt very much that this has changed, but next time I get a bag new, I will weigh them and compare.

Cheers.

Norma (RUAG) made brass under contract for both Nosler and Federal. There have been articles in Rifle and/or Handloader magazine where writers (John Barsness and John Haviland) have toured the plant and actually seen the headstamps.

Around the middle of 2017 I read an article in either the Rifle or Handloader magazine where John Nosler told John Barsness that by the end of the year (2017) Nosler were hoping to be making all their own brass. Since that deadline is 12 months ago I would think Nosler now makes all their own brass.
Kiwikid.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.