brand new to reloading 300 win mag

eastern wa hunter

hi everyone. right away i have to apologize for not exactly knowing what i am doing, never posted on a forum before or reloaded. I have a 300 win mag and am looking for some info and help for loading my own. we currently hunt eastern wa and have the opportunity to shoot our animals out to 1000yds. i am looking for a decent load tricks and tips to achieve this. right now i shoot 180 gain remington scirocco's. I have curently purchase reloading equipment and am anxious to get started.

Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated.
Dennis

Hello Dennis, and welcome to LRH. I am an avid 300 win shooter. I have put together many 300 wins for hunting to 1000 yards. I would recommend H-1000 for powder and FED GM 215M primers. Since you are going out that far I would be looking strongly at bullets with a high BC to fight drift. My choice would be the 210 Berger VLD or the 215 Berger Target Hybrid. I have had great luck with both hunting with my rifles, most recently the 215's. The 215's are easy to work up a load for,and their BC is at the top of any production bullet for the 300 available today. I have taken a few antelope past 1000 yards and as far as 1285 and they still expanded very well. A starting charge for the 215 and H-1000 would be 72 gr and work up.

This thread may interest you. In it you will find actual field photos and data from many big game kills with the 215 Berger. After reading it you may have an idea if this is the kind of performance you desire.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/cmparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Oh, for a tip: Practice ,practice ,practice!!

Welcome to the forum, I load nosler 180gr. Bt's with reloader 22 and cci#250 primers they shoot great in my gun. Just picked up some Berger 185 hunting vld's and plan to work up a new load using these. I also live in eastern WA and 300wm is a great choice for hunting here.imr 7828 has also been a good powder for me,but I dont shoot the 200 grainers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.