brand new sendero acting up

Xpress-Kill

So a while back I bought I sendero. Picked up some barns x factory loads. Took it out and shot it. I couldn't get it to group any better then about 2 1/2 inches at a hundred yards. Also couldn't hardly chamber a round in the action with out shaving brass off the case..... Iam pretty sure its a head space issue anyone else had this problem with a brand new 700 action? P.s the gun is at a smiths to get examined as Iam running out of time and can't send it to remington

People have reported various and similar problems with all makes/models of new firearms including the Sendero.

The common theme is that any modifications you make will likely void your warranty.

Hopefully, it will be something simple that your smith can rectify swiftly and inexpensively.

Once he has a diagnoses, it might be worth a call to Remington before he starts machining anything.

For example, ...supposing the chamber is cut poorly, maybe they'll let you send in the barrel for an exchange and in the meantime you could get a $60 takeoff from the classifieds in these forums. Otherwise, it may be time for a Kreiger, Bartlein, or Shilen barrel thus making the most of a bad situation.

The sling swivel stud on my Sendero originally protruded enough to rub the underside of the barrel. I discovered it before firing and got after it with a Dremel. I don't imagine it would've done any good for accuracy had it gone unnoticed.

Condolences,
-- richard

My hunting buddy and I both bought Sendero's in .264 Win Mag. When we went to shoot the first time I had no problems with mine. His would do like yours and would leave marks on the case head just chambering a round. He also had problems closing the bolt. After doing some checking with a Hornaday OAL gauge we discovered that the chamber had a short throat and when chambering a round he was actually pushing the bullet down into the case. Accuracy sucked and he would blow primers. He sent it back to Remington and they sent it back having found no problems and doing nothing. He called them and was not polite about it and they finally said to send it back again and that time it was re chambered right and now has no problem with the gun. Accuracy so far is in the 3/4" grouping with factory ammo but he is reloading for it and trying to get that shrunk a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.