Bad Chamber on a brand new rifle??

bassassassin104

I have been tinkering with this $2k rifle for a friend trying to work up a decent load. Cannot get it to shoot better than 1.3" at 100yards. Put the bore scope in it tonight and I think I found the problem. Please tell me what you think. Half the lands run to the chamber and the other half seem to have been ground off . I tried to post the whole video but cannot figure out how
IMG_5856.png
IMG_5854.png

Chamber is cut eccentric to the bore centreline…it happens to the best of us. Sometimes, the pilot follows the least resistance and what follows is an off-centre chamber by a few thou'.
Not much you can do about it other than sending it back.
My own custom Bartlein 7" twist 22-250AI is off by .007", still shoots respectable groups…

Cheers.

Chamber is cut eccentric to the bore centreline…it happens to the best of us. Sometimes, the pilot follows the least resistance and what follows is an off-centre chamber by a few thou'.
Not much you can do about it other than sending it back.
My own custom Bartlein 7" twist 22-250AI is off by .007", still shoots respectable groups…

Cheers.
I am not very experienced with my borescope and certainly am not a gunsmith. I believe both sides of the barrel exhibit this same condition. Leaving only 3 lands in tact to the front of the chamber. Is that caused by the same issue with the pilot?

I am not very experienced with my borescope and certainly am not a gunsmith. I believe both sides of the barrel exhibit this same condition. Leaving only 3 lands in tact to the front of the chamber. Is that caused by the same issue with the pilot?
Are you saying you see the same thing at the muzzle?

I won't say the manufacturer but consecutive serial numbers, same caliber, 2 friends, caliber both have extensive experience with. After trying to get a couple of pet loads, they've used in several different guns but couldn't get to group less than 1.5 inches, sent them back to manufacturer who basically said it shoot well enough - this particular maker don't offer an MOA guarantee. Both rifles then taken to a gunsmith who scoped them and found the chambers to be bad.
After both guns were re-barreled, they shot their pet loads and found several options with both guns shooting 7/16 or less moa at 100 yards.
It happens. if the Quality control doesn't catch a bad reamer, then you get a bad chamber.
Hopefully if you send it back the manufacturer will do something to make it right.
BTW, both guns were $1500 on sale, real close to $2K normally.

I won't say the manufacturer but consecutive serial numbers, same caliber, 2 friends, caliber both have extensive experience with. After trying to get a couple of pet loads, they've used in several different guns but couldn't get to group less than 1.5 inches, sent them back to manufacturer who basically said it shoot well enough - this particular maker don't offer an MOA guarantee. Both rifles then taken to a gunsmith who scoped them and found the chambers to be bad.
After both guns were re-barreled, they shot their pet loads and found several options with both guns shooting 7/16 or less moa at 100 yards.
It happens. if the Quality control doesn't catch a bad reamer, then you get a bad chamber.
Hopefully if you send it back the manufacturer will do something to make it right.
BTW, both guns were $1500 on sale, real close to $2K normally.
Please tell the manufacturer, they had a chance to fix it and didn't it's on them and I don't want to buy one of their rifles.

Part of why I didn't is because I own one of their rifles currently and it shoots sub-MOA both factory and handloads. I have owned 4 others in the past (1 6.5 PRC and 3 more 300 WSM's - different barrel lengths/features) and all shot sub-MOA all day long.
The 2 I (one my brother) have also owned several of this brand that also shot sub-MOA, so it was surprising and disappointing that they responded the way they did.
No targets, just a note saying they shot it, and it met their standards.