Bore Life

G

I have a query which may stretch the grey cells? Or it may have been covered ages ago?
Here goes - consider two diferent barrels, one in .224 and the other in .243.
With an identical projectile weight - lets say 55gr and identical muzzle velocities [say 3800 fps] which will have the longest barrel life?
The answer may be obvious but why?

if based on the same case the 6mm bore will have better life,simply because the wider the the bore the less prone it is to erosion-my-2-dave

the bog standard 6mm has a land depth of .003"(.237-.243 bore/groove), while the 224 uses a standard land depth of .0025"(.219-.224 bore/groove)..so you'd probably find the .224 would be the first to skid...

JR

This answer is based in nothing other than my personal observations of the universe.

I believe that the tighter the constriction (all else being the same) the longer the hot gasses will stay incontact with the barrel. The gases are hottest at the mouth of the case so this is where the erosion will show the most (because we all know that molecules are more prone to motion in a hot object versus a cold object of the same material)

Try this. Put an icecube on the counter. put your face very close and blow a lungfull of air straight down at it as hard as you can with your mouth wide open. Now observe how much it has melted as a result.

Now take a new icecube and do the same thing except this time blow on it through a stationary straw.

Hope this helps.

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited by: 4ked Horn ]

Using a WSSM case for ease of 3800 from a 55gr. There is little difference in pressure or powder amount to obtain it(although different powders).
But the 224 throat will burn out faster.
More cutting torch effect, I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.