Boats $$$$ 🤬🤬🤬

I remember when Merc first came out with their 300HP outboard engine. We just had to put one on our 20 foot boat. The idea didn't fizzle when we had to add some trim tabs to lift the *** back out of the water because of the weight. It was the 33gal/hr that we were burning to run around that made us question our new purchase. :eek: 😂

I remember when Merc first came out with their 300HP outboard engine. We just had to put one on our 20 foot boat. The idea didn't fizzle when we had to add some trim tabs to lift the *** back out of the water because of the weight. It was the 33gal/hr that we were burning to run around that made us question our new purchase. :eek: 😂
horsepower. The aphrodisiac for gearheads.

2 days after my 400r mercury was delivered, mercury announced the 450r.

I'm a boat dealer. 34 seasons is a LOT of seasons! Thats like getting mad at your ten year old black lab because he can't climb up the stairs. Maybe its time to take her on her last troll?
Heck no! Not mad at all just bad timing during coho spring fishing! Penn Yans are known for their durability! They built them by the pound! This is a Penn Yan Tournament 212 that has a dry weight of 3,000 lbs and fully loaded 60 gal tank and all my trolling gear I am at 4,000 lbs + for a 21' boat. Everything is SS lock nutted so everything still OEM. I upgraded Nav lights to 2MI LED's to improve night and really morning trolling visibility to the idiots on plane so I can be seen better. I am fastidious on maintenance so engine/outdrive has 3K hours but still strong. Deep ride fiberglass hull that can take far more water that I want at my age now but huge safety factor if big blow comes in fast. Not a speed demon but still tops out 38 but a lot of weight added to boat. When I bought it, I actually told my wife this will last me as long as I need to fish Great Lakes. She brought it up recently she was surprised how good it has been.

One of the easiest things you can do to extend boat life is to drop outdrive down to relax bellows so no stress on them every time you park it. I pull plug every single time to make sure bilge is dry which protects stringers.

I will repower this rig as long as it can pass survey of stringers etc but sure it will. The cost to repower a really good fiberglass blue water boat is cheap as hello in comparison to buying new. The boat itself rides like a dream, big fishing cockpit that is not common in a 21', tons of storage, self draining cockpit, double battery setup, freshwater washdown, track systems. Ok this is more weird to most fishing boats, I am still using original Sunbrella top and cockpit enclosure! If you take it down, hang it up in basement, it can last long time.

I feel so strong about boat I had Trailmaster build custom bunk trailer for it 2 years ago. That was a $5K+ investment. Trailers unreal with it.

I can't wait to get my granddaughters out in it soon since it is so safe for them with extremely high gunnel. Not great to lip smallies out of it😂!

Last edited:
@jessej - yes I was. 2009 Ram 2500 left front axle U-joint tightened up so going in tomorrow morning and IF AOK, maybe on water in afternoon. One dang thing after another.! Only really good part of this repair is truck came with lifetime powertrain warranty so covered. But boat sitting there just waiting to get wet!

It came with truck as a freebie! Back in 2009 the auto market crashed and there were some models that got incentives to purchase. This was only Ram that has it. Funny thing, it has hardly been used with 195K on it. Been great truck!

They say a boat owner has two happy days the day he bought it and the day he sold it lol
Not picking on you Ridgereaper, just the quote I grabbed.
Lots of folks who don't enjoy being on the water much say this. I suppose folks would say the same thing about our guns, if they didn't get guns.
But, If it sits, it quits. I miss my boat often, but I have two great friends with boats, which is a great deal for me.

Yeah, my experience is boat's bought for pleasure such as wake boarding are not as well maintained as one used for hard core fishing or duck hunting. Have lot of friends in that "boat"!😂
I love my boats my password used too be boat one of my father like friends called me up after he sold his fishing camp and boat a few years before he turned 80 , and said what you think about a man buying a bout at age 80 I said JW sounds like a good idea , he's 96 now .

I love my boats my password used too be boat one of my father like friends called me up after he sold his fishing camp and boat a few years before he turned 80 , and said what you think about a man buying a bout at age 80 I said JW sounds like a good idea , he's 96 now .
Id say a man who buys a boat at age 80 is pretty damned smart.
I bought my last new one 3 years ago when i was 84.
I needed another one so i could get further back into the swamps.
14x42 Alweld jon with a 20 Merk electric and a 50# Minn kota.
Runs in less than a foot of water.
I sit under a 6' beach umbrella when not back under the trees.
No need for downriggers on that one. lol

I'm a boat dealer. 34 seasons is a LOT of seasons! Thats like getting mad at your ten year old black lab because he can't climb up the stairs. Maybe its time to take her on her last troll?
I love it when I see anyone taking care of things well, fixing, rebuilding, and just flat continuing to use what they have and like. Not much better than seeing a well done CC woody slide by a Bill Gates save the environment Mega Yacht. I'm only on my 13th season with the latest wet ride, and I'm thinking it goes to my Grand Kids when I'm fishing in that beautiful blue water above.