Boats $$$$ 🤬🤬🤬

Muddyboots

So I got my old rig summerized early April, 1989 Penn Yan 212 that has been zero problem until last year. I had impeller go in April last year but when marina pulled outdrive, oil had leaked into bellows, so ended up telling them to replace everything as maintenance precaution. Including fixing power trim sending unit.

So marina started up and ran perfect. I launched, was trolling for about 25 min and 🤬🤬🤬, noticed temp climbing fast. So pulled lines, throttled up and temp went down so impeller again! So only one year on impeller which is really short. Then the up on power trim stopped working!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬

So ordered 2 kits to have extra for next spring. Going to take apart the power trim limit switch to see if there is grease in it which can happen and interfere.

34th season I have owned this boat so I keep it well maintained but I hope this is not indicator of its future! So I am now prob down for couple weeks until I get impeller replaced. Prime coho trolling and down for a while.🤬

34 years is a long time in boat years. I purchased my first fishing boat in 1985. Went through several and I would hate to add up the $$$ I spent. It makes firearms and hunting seem very inexpensive relatively. The only boat I own now is a canoe. I still love fishing for those small river smallmouths. I hope it all works out for you.

34 years is a long time in boat years. I purchased my first fishing boat in 1985.
Penn Yan's are known for their durability right up to when they were bought and moved to NC. Total business failure by new owner. Basically built by the pound! Very heavy and well built. Stainless steel everything and lock nuts everywhere so everything is still original and tight. The boat was just weighed fully loaded for new trailer and it weighs 4100 lbs which for a 21' boat is holy cow. Which is also why it rides so well and handles heavy water great.

As it ages, I have to change my maintenance plan to adjust. My plan will be impeller replacement every spring going forward. Structurally, still in great shape, stringers still strong, always pulled plug to keep bilge dry, pull hatch back to allow air circulation in engine compartment which helps keep bilge area dry. Engine has ton of hours on it but keep it maintained, oil changes, frequent spark plug changes, distributor maintenance important.

It is stored inside so is in great shape and lots of wax!
E442700F-C66E-4646-8BE5-6113A5DD6B4E.jpeg

Buying a quality boat and maintaining it is the key to longevity. I did that when I bought a Cobalt many years ago. I made one very costly mistake and let a guy winterize it at the end of the season. I saved a few bucks initially, but realized he did not do what he promised when I had a cracked block in the spring. $12k mistake. When I finally sold it, I nearly recovered all of my initial purchase price 6 years later.

I use OEM parts 100% of time to insure best outcome.
Good help is hard to get these days. Almost impossible. In the last year or so I've seen multiple horrendous mistakes from some very reputable marine repair facilities. They're charging 100-150 bucks an hour shop labor and if you peak in the shop you see a certified methican American with a pair of channel locks on your prop nut! 🤬. It's almost to the point that if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself.
BTW. Nice boat muddy. And well maintained.

Last edited:
Good looking boat and she shows your care. She will fix and take you out for another couple decades if you want. I get it Muddy, the kick in the butt right at fishing time is the worst. There are times as you know it's just bum luck and a tiny little flaw or error can turn into a big one. Your shop will make it right, and probably let you be there to see the problem. I run outboards with only 800 on my big and about 8000 on my kicker. Stuff wears and even though it should last they don't sometimes. Just have another conversation with her, and every lady loves how they look and feel after a good wash and wax. I believe she will take you right to the best school first time back out. Cant wait to see some shiny slabs on her deck!