Blue thread loctite on scope rings or not

Brownsfan

The folks that mounted my scope used blue loctite for the base mounts, but not for the scope rings. Seems the screws on the rear ring are loosening up after just a few shots now (464 rounds through barrel). Was curious to know if you all use blue loctite on your scope ring screws or not? What are the drawbacks of doing so? Appreciate any insights you may have....

The folks that mounted my scope used blue loctite for the base mounts, but not for the scope rings. Seems the screws on the rear ring are loosening up after just a few shots now (464 rounds through barrel). Was curious to know if you all use blue loctite on your scope ring screws or not? What are the drawbacks of doing so? Appreciate any insights you may have....

When I got my lightweight .375 AI, 31 years ago, as I knew recoil would be generous.....I started using blue Loctite on my rings. I've since incorporated this practice to all mounted scopes......needed or not!

With screws......same philosophy! I don't want anything getting loose or moving! memtb

I'm dealing with the remains of red loctite a smith put on my picatinny rail 30 years ago. I thought he used blue, after two screw stripped I realized he used red. I used blue but will probably go back to nail polish.

Back in the day I did use Loctite ....then 25 +years ago got a featherlight 338 WM with a scope all ready mounted on it and wanted to remove it....ended up putting the rifles action in the mill and milling the head off....after that I never put Loctite on scope screws....
I have never ever had a problem of a scope coming loose and any rifle not using Loctite....I'am a big bore shooter and have built hundreds of rifles.....
Can say torx's screws are the best to use on scope mounts.....

i used to, but then i had a terrible time trying to remove some scope rings that had been loctited. they cheap *** china rings i'm sure. so i decided to just buy quality rings/bases for my builds and then i torque everything per the owners manual and i havent had any issues.

that being said, i dont own any big caliber rifles. .308 is the largest caliber i have....for now. if i ever get a 300 win mag or 338 or .50 then i may look at a few drops of loctitie. if you have trouble getting them out, a little bit of heat will turn it to liquid again and you should be able to remove it.