Blending Different Lots Of The Same Powder

CA48

Due to the times I have an acceptable amount of powder, finding it here and there, but different lots.

I have been thinking about thoroughly blending all the lots to create one. I have done this with 2 lots, but not three or 4. I don't think there would be any problems. Does anyone know if I would have any issues, technical or safety wise?

The powder is h-1000 and I may do it with varget also. Again I'm not blending 2 different powders. I want to blend different lots of the same powder.

Due to the times I have an acceptable amount of powder, finding it here and there, but different lots.

I have been thinking about thoroughly blending all the lots to create one. I have done this with 2 lots, but not three or 4. I don't think there would be any problems. Does anyone know if I would have any issues, technical or safety wise?

The powder is h-1000 and I may do it with varget also. Again I'm not blending 2 different powders. I want to blend different lots of the same powder.

I do it all the time. I never throw away my "5 or 8 lb kegs" so that if I go to buy powder, and they don't have any kegs of what I want...I can still pick up 3-4 lbs and just refill my keg.
Shake well and pour.

I can't fathom how there would be a safety issue.

I discussed this with a technician at ADI where they make the H1000 and Varget powders. His recommendation was to tip them all into a single container, give them a good shake, them let the canister sit for about a month for the powders to acclimatise (my word, I dont recall his exact term).

I have done this with Retumbo, but only left it to sit a few days. No problem, but there may be a very slight difference in burning rate after a longer period.

I used to do this and never seemed to have an issue. A couple of years ago I experienced a change in Retumbo. A thoroughly tested load required a 1.5 gr reduction to generate the same velocity with a recently purchased lot. I don't think this is typical because lots purchased since produce similar results to the lot that required the lower charge weight. None the less, as my demands for range and accuracy have increased, I have since limited my mixing with my LR and competition rifle powders to only the same lot purchased in quantities sufficient to last the life of he barrel, if I can. Same goes for primers.

I too have done this. Mixed well & rolled on. No issues over several months. It's worked well for me; as you stated, with the current trends, I'm sure i'll be doing more of it :rolleyes:

t

imr7828 and imr7828ssc have identical burn rates. The differance is the size of the granuels. The ssc meters much better. They will mix perfectly as long as you weigh your charges IMO

Just a word of cation when mixing ssc powders with sc powders: as pointed out, the ssc are shorter so they will meter differently. If you are throwing charges, more likely than not, they will be based on volume and not weight. Unless each throw/charge has the same percentage of sc to ssc, the weight will vary with each throw. You can mix them - but I would weigh each charge if accuracy was my goal.

I have don it on and off over th years with H-1000. I have a large black plastic mortar tub. I sprad on pound on bottom, then sprad the next with a crossing pattern, then repeat. After all jars are in the tub I mix by hand, and rebottle with a label dated and marked as blend. I keep a note in my log book of how many and what lot numbers were used in this "blend"

Jeff

I've blended different lots of the same type of Alliant powders, and still do. I find with the RE19 & RE22, I get more consistancy for those 2 lbs of powder, since the Alliant containers will hold 2 lbs per container. I just pour and shake well. Let them sit for a while and everything works good for me. I've done the same with Varget and H1000 before.

My next go-round I will be ordering 8lb kegs of Varget and H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.