Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the "Rifle of the Century"

Go the Blaser R93?

• Total voters
Re: Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the \"Rifle of the Century\"

Gentlemen.
I have a wealth of experience with the Blaser R93, I know (and have consumed beer) with the guys who own the company. The Blaser R93 is a very popular hunting rifle here in Germany, they have run a massive advertising campaign since the rifles launch. The first R93's cost Blaser 380 Deutsch Marks to produce and where sold for about 10 times that figure.
They have a decent barrel. The rifles are all accurate, some out standingly accurate. The removal of the barrel from the stock group is very simple and the purpose dsigned scope mounts seem to work fairly well.
Personaly i wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. The alluminium "reciever" bolt carrier body group is tinny, it will not stand any abuse.
The Blaser owes its accuracy to a decent barrel and the 360 degrees lock up which forces the case home between the bolt face and the chamber. In my opinion Blaser have something here in this design, it is however majorly under developed. It needs developing. The locking system needs to be combined into a traditional bolt mechanism and action in some way, then we would have a winner.
The system as it is is prone to failure of the locking flanges, which creates a very dangerouse situation indeed. you do not want to be feeding the R93 hot hand loads.
To me the rifle should have remained as a one of concept gimick rifle untill Blaser had developed the design to its optimum.
Now as far as the German market for rifles is concerned, many hunters in Germany shoot maybe 3 or 4 deer a year, the odd fox and an odd pig. They very seldom go to a range. They hunt mostly from tree stands that are maybe 200 yards from the car, under these conditions the R93 is likely to last a while, if you are happy to put up with the misfires and that fiddly to load action. I wouldn't want to have to go against anything remotely dangerouse with an R93.
If you want a take down rifle. look at the Sauer 202 or 3000. the Sig SHR 970 Heym SR21, HS precision 2000 take down, Mauser M03.
If you want a tacticle type. the Sig 970 can be had with a McMillan A5.
do your self a favour and don't go near a blasre R93
Pete

Pete,
Thanks for the good info. You call things like they are. I am sure that you are aware that they make a tactical 93 rig - it has more bells, whistles and nifty stuff than my one year old grand-daughter's latest kiddie-toy.
I was unimpressed with the detachable scope mounts, one of the levers had almost no friction when it was tightened and locked in place. That only left one holding the big S&B scope with any tension.
Despite the fact I had this niggling little concern that each shot might blow my face off the rifle I tested shot very accurately and it continues to do so. The fellow who owns it likes German quality and he is doing some excellent hunting and LR shooting with his 93. I will stick with my 70's and 700's even tho I cannot switch the bolt from left to right side, swap bolt faces and barrels or stock configurations.
Did you experience a Canadian winter when you were over here - we are freezing our gonies off these days out on the prairies.

Ian,

I spent 2 winters in CFB Shilo (95 & 96). It never went below -35 deg C. What are you complaining about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian, the scope mounts are adjustable for clamping, you screw the multi slotted head of the screw in or out and this adjusts clampiing pressure the scope mounts work. the things are accurate, but are a pile of crap.
The only North American continental winter i experienced was in Soddom on Patomac ( Ft Belvior , Alexandria) it was brass monkeys there..
I always managed to do Canada in the summer months, the girls where easier to chase in the sun.
Brown dog, you mean it wasn't cold in that command post waggon. eh.. your aci ring is on its way.. by the way
Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks.

Don't over-estimate the comfort of the CP, I saw some guys with nasty little lip burns when their freshly brewed coffee was too hot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was on my 2nd FOO tour back then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Cdn inf used to issue a rum ration below -25deg C /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Doggus Brownus,, when i was with the Inf, the FOO was a bloke that had my respect. and the FOO didn't usualy spend much time in the CP, rum ration, i thought that went out with Lord Nelson.. Canada was great eh..
glad we agree that the R93 is a pile of junk.
let me know when you get the package, i hope it fits. Pete

IanM ,
Want a bit of heat ? We'll send you some of ours ! Been about 105 in the shade here for the past couple of days .
Got a dead mouse in the airconditioner at work . Take your pick - heat or stink . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brown Dog,
I imagine -35 was pretty nasty, we get our share of that stuff but our climate seems to be moderating compared to a few decades back. Like they say in winter in Saskatchewan, "Bring on Global Warming!!!"

Pete you missed a great opportunity - the women can't run as fast all bundled up at minus 40C!

I have visited your fine country a couple of times, shot at Bisley a long time ago when Lee Enfields ruled. My mom was a war-bride, we returned to her home a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the visit.

Really wonder who the genius was that decided the R93 should be proclaimed the "Rifle of the Century", must have owned a lot of stock in the company /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete,

Sorry for the delay in replying, just this second got back from a week's skiing near Geneva. Return journey (we drove) was a 9 hour trip that turned into 14 -blizzards etc. Rather knackered as a result! First time we've taken the brats skiing, they loved it - a great week....I'm just so excited that I'm in the field from 0715hrs tomorrow until Thu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The Ring has arrived /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif very many thanks ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll drop you an email if I stay awake long enough to stop myself head-butting this keyboard!

Ian,

Wow, has it warmed up that much on the Prairie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I shall relocate to high ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I loved it over there and would emigrate tomorrow (Alberta / BCish - I need hills!) but the Frau has kyboshed that option!
Spent some time in Regina which was a welcome break from the bright lights of Brandon!

Well guys I'll have to let you know how it goes.

I was off line for a little while (didn't have notifications set properly) - didn't see the wealth of responses and the unanimous direction. Interestingly also the first people who have had Blasers and not liked them.

In tha time I put in the order for blaser r93 professional with jagmatch .223 26 inch barrel fluted and .308 standard profile 22inch.

Fortunately some of the concerns should not impact me - I shoot high quality factory loads of modest calibres - generally at surprised rabbits. Though having a fail on a charging pig could be painful - I'll certainly remeber to close the action firmly after what I have read here

I ddi look at the shr but could not get any outstandingly good reviews of its accuracy

Thanks for the advice - I'll have to let you know how it goes when they arrive and have used it a bit

An update for all who contributed - thanks

FYI

I have had the Blaser for some time - probably 300-400 rounds tghrough it now mostly through the .223 match barrel.

Use it mostly for varminting rabbits and foxes. Like it but can see it is not everyone's cup of tea
Stengths
- Ability to assemble and shoot without seeming any inaccuracy - cerainly can set up and shoot bunnies at 200m
- light compared to the remminton VS
- seemingly accurate with factory loads
- Short for a varmint rifle - which was very good when spotlighting in cold weather hopping in and out of a farmers truck - so much easier and safer to manage in confined spaces - and quicker to deploy - for shooting across the hood etc
- like the synthetic professional stock hollow but firm. Had a QD swivel put in so I can attach a Harris S class bipod - which I ues for nearly all shots

Weaknesses
- Aint milspec if you want a bash around dirt tolerant rifle for months in the field this ain't it. But for me who goes away for a weekend then comes back and cleans it it is fine. Note in that weekend I am up and down into the dirt firing, crawling in from dusty fields - not just walking around
- the new trigger mechanism is very heavy - tested at 3.5 pounds - the agent here is finding an old trigger to put in so he can get it down to 2 pounds or less. This has limited my shots and confidence to date so my longest shots are really only on rabbits to 300m or so. That will probably stretch with a lighter trigger
- does have the no fires - probably around the 4% quoted

Overal it suits me and is delivering on the features I bought it for, but still need more confidence that the new lighter trigger will bring. It is a good hunter but it aint a military rifle.

Note over here a few professional kangaroo shooters are using them. Apparently they love the ability to shoot out a barrel swap over to a new high quality one in minutes and keep shooting - they also find the accuracy of the standard profile barrel more than enough. These guys shoot 30 or many more kangaroos a night so very pragmatic, high volume users of rifles.

Re: Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the "Rifle of the Century"

used to work with a guy that went brown bear hunting in Alaska. he said the outfitter had 2 rules for the guns. they had to be at least 338 caliber and absolutely no Blazer rifles. he'd seen the bigger calibers just jam up when shot and couldn't extract the shell. most of the outfitters there wouldn't allow them for big bears.

Re: Blaser r93 - is it accurate. Did it deserve the "Rifle of the Century"

OK Davyd.
I joined this forum, just to answer your questions, and to give you some Blaser FACTS.
I too, was in the exact same sitution as yourself, and pondering the same questions ...... about 5-6 years ago. Even in the same country and state.
The Blaser I went for, was the LRS 2 in .223, ( only because it has an operator adjustable trigger ) and I must say, it has met all my expections.
The rifle is extremely accurate, with either barrel ( I shoot 300m Fly comp ) very robust and reliable ( not one mis-fire to date ) and once your use to the action, you will never go back.
Now the down side.
It will make all your other rifles obsolete. Since my original purchase, I have bought another R93 professional in 308, plus a 243 barrel for deer hunting, and also a 6mm BR for the LRS. ( you do save money on scopes LOL )
Reloading. Because of the firearms design, chamber spec etc, you must be absolutely spot on with case re-size ...... or else ..... if your lucky, the bolt will not close ?
I took a great interest in the so called "Blaser Accidents", and came to the conclusion, with consideration to the above comment, that Blasers are no more dangerous than any other brand rifle.
However, what I did find, is that our American bothers, are not entirely objective regarding this matter.
And the final downer ..... the Australian agent is completely useless ! But with the right paper work, there are some really good buys and service from retailers in the US.
Final comment ...... 69g Matchkings, with 23g's of Benchmark 2 ....... you can pick which eye you want to hit at 300m !
Cheers.gun)

Gentlemen.
I have a wealth of experience with the Blaser R93, I know (and have consumed beer) with the guys who own the company. The Blaser R93 is a very popular hunting rifle here in Germany, they have run a massive advertising campaign since the rifles launch. The first R93's cost Blaser 380 Deutsch Marks to produce and where sold for about 10 times that figure.
They have a decent barrel. The rifles are all accurate, some out standingly accurate. The removal of the barrel from the stock group is very simple and the purpose dsigned scope mounts seem to work fairly well.
Personaly i wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. The alluminium "reciever" bolt carrier body group is tinny, it will not stand any abuse.
The Blaser owes its accuracy to a decent barrel and the 360 degrees lock up which forces the case home between the bolt face and the chamber. In my opinion Blaser have something here in this design, it is however majorly under developed. It needs developing. The locking system needs to be combined into a traditional bolt mechanism and action in some way, then we would have a winner.
The system as it is is prone to failure of the locking flanges, which creates a very dangerouse situation indeed. you do not want to be feeding the R93 hot hand loads.
To me the rifle should have remained as a one of concept gimick rifle untill Blaser had developed the design to its optimum.
Now as far as the German market for rifles is concerned, many hunters in Germany shoot maybe 3 or 4 deer a year, the odd fox and an odd pig. They very seldom go to a range. They hunt mostly from tree stands that are maybe 200 yards from the car, under these conditions the R93 is likely to last a while, if you are happy to put up with the misfires and that fiddly to load action. I wouldn't want to have to go against anything remotely dangerouse with an R93.
If you want a take down rifle. look at the Sauer 202 or 3000. the Sig SHR 970 Heym SR21, HS precision 2000 take down, Mauser M03.
If you want a tacticle type. the Sig 970 can be had with a McMillan A5.
do your self a favour and don't go near a blasre R93
Pete

Well Pete...... I have to strongly disagree with you mate ....... Wether you drink beer with the owner of Blaser, or not.
1. Regiments of the Australian army use R 93 Tactical in combat, and have reported on both the rifles accuracy and durability.
2. I have used a LRS 2 for five years in competition, and to this day, I have never had a misfire on the 6mm BR.
3. Any gunsmith of German origin, that promotes Howa rifles, as a base for a comp or tactical rifle, has very limited credibility, in my view.
4. You say the bolt head design, needs to be developed into a conventional bolt system.
Have a look at the R93's predecessor, the 87 ???
5. How many Howa's do you sell in a year ....... How many rifles does Blaser sell ?
Yes, I understand why your trade does not like Blaser ... There making you redundant !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.