black powder substitutes

TommyBreaux

Has anyone in the group experimented with using 5744 or Trailboss as a substitute for black powder in a .50 cal Thompson Center behind a sabotted bullet?

These powders are smokeless powders for cartridges and ARE NOT TO BE USED IN A T/C ENCORE MUZZLE LOADER.
There are a number of powders that are mad to substitute for black powder but these are not.
I have used AA-5744 in 45-70 with cast bullets and it shoot fine. I burns dirty but shoots great.

There is no reason to risk using the smokeless powders now that Western Powders has started making Blackhorn 209 Blackhorn 209.
This stuff is the best thing since sliced bread. It has almost no residue when fire so you don't have to swab the barrel between shots. You can shoot all day without cleaning. There is no black powder stink when you clean it. You use regular solvents, like Hoppes, to clean it. It is non corrosive so you can leave it loaded all season without rust. It burns very uniformly for better accuracy and great velocity. Use it once and you'll never go back to whatever you were using before.

Thanks for the advice about the Blackhorn 209. I'll pick some up and give it a try. Any particular volume and bullet work best for you.

Thanks,

Tommy

Like granular Pyrodex, measure by black powder column measures. Do not weigh loads. Use the same measure you would with black powd3r, such as 100 grains, by column, such as 100 grains with a 200 grain sabot.

Nimrod is right on with 209. No more stink and no more taking a shower with your rifle.....:)

Unlike black powder, 209 isn't sensitive to storage issues.

Ive shot blackthorn, 777 and goex black powder substitudes and find little differnce between them for accuracy or the ammount the gun can be shot before needing cleaning. I doubt anyone shoots enough shots during hunting season to need to clean the barrel anyway. As to leaving the gun dirty till next year that doesnt factor in as im going to clean my gun after season anyway. Buy anyone one of the three and fool around increasing your powder charge till you find the sweat spot for your bullet sabot combo and youll be happy and so will your gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.