Beating The Powder Companies....- Substitute Powders???

Ramshot is produced in Belgium. IMR in Canada, Hodgdon Extreme line in Australia, IMR enduron in Canada, SW are czech powders i believe. Hodgdon has never produced powder. St Marks plant in FL produces ball powders for accurate and win.

Ramshot is produced in Belgium. IMR in Canada, Hodgdon Extreme line in Australia, IMR enduron in Canada, SW are czech powders i believe. Hodgdon has never produced powder. St Marks plant in FL produces ball powders for accurate and win.
Well, I certainly didnt know Ramshot was made in Belgium. I had settled on Accurate Pro Mag anyway because its usually 1-2 gr less than RS Magnum to give me the same velocity at lower pressure.

The two are very close performance wise, but now Pro Mag is made here and RS Mag is not. Yep almost nuthin is made here nomore!

The Belgians do make some good lager beers though.....
had to add that, just sayin...

not all Ramshot is Belgium, X treminator is Canada, Tac is USA. Hodgen CFE 223 and BL-C2 are both USA. Accurate 4064 is Canada. Alliant MR4000 is USA.
like most have been working on alternatives and while many powders can be substitutes very few are replacements.

grain shape, size, and density need to also be taken into account when substituting powders. while the burn rate might be closer to another option it might not have the best case fill or it might allow more powder giving the desired velocity at lower pressure. personally i look for case fill and velocities on quick load more than burn rate.

Yes, its at .54 and might be a good substitute for H4895 ----BUT

I did not list it because Butterbean said it was only good fer campfire starter, and otherwise a good substitute fer manure on the lawn......🙂🤔

But, results may vary!!

Let me know if you like it for H4895?

I've never used it for that purpose, but it does awesome in 6.5 creed and 270 win. 140s in the Creed 2800 easy, and 140 in the 270 at 3050. SDs under 5

Staball does well in 7-08 as well. I'm using it to drive a 168 Berger vld at 2760fps out of my 7-08ai

Lever Revolution shows a burn rate of 0.489 in QL.

So it seems to be closer to H4350
than H4895 or Varget.

Might work well for H4350.
Cool! That's even better news for me. I've just based this once burn rate charts by hodgdon, not quickload. The proof will be in the pudding, I've got some I'm planning to try in a .243.

grain shape, size, and density need to also be taken into account when substituting powders. while the burn rate might be closer to another option it might not have the best case fill or it might allow more powder giving the desired velocity at lower pressure. personally i look for case fill and velocities on quick load more than burn rate.
Granted, there will be many nuances.

But, you may find a load that is very close with a little experimentation.

You may end up with a little less velocity as well, or maybe close to the same.

Groups will likely differ even at the same velocity as your current load due to the nuances you describe and that even though these powders have very close burn rate starting points, the shape and dimensions of the powder burn rate curve will differ in shape and maximums vs. time. Burn rate profile pressure curves plotted vs.
time during the explosion will vary some.

But you are better off starting at about the same burn rate than not trying to find comps IMO.

Groups in MOA may vary due to differing harmonics and bullet exit timing based on all the nuances and the shape of the powder burn rate profile. Still worth trying. Specially if at some point you have no choice.

Australian supply is very suspect if there is a China issue in the Pacific....who knows about Canada anymore? etc....

Lever shot great in son's 6.5 grendel but seems to be very temp sensitive. Shot ok in 6.5 CM also but not as good as CFE-223

not all Ramshot is Belgium, X treminator is Canada, Tac is USA. Hodgen CFE 223 and BL-C2 are both USA. Accurate 4064 is Canada. Alliant MR4000 is USA.
like most have been working on alternatives and while many powders can be substitutes very few are replacements.
Check the hodgdon site. TAC is Belgium and sold in Europe as Wild Boar, Xterminator/Accurate 2230 is made in Belgium. Ramshot powders are made by PB Clermont in Belgium.

Here's a lead on 20 lbs. of Accurate 8700, very close possible substitute for RL33 or N570. Its only $25 per lb. and is repackaged from a large drum of bulk powder. This seller is on Gunbroker and located in Tennessee. Possibly you could arrange for local pick up to
save the $45 hazmat fee.

This will not be temperature protected powder, but it might be good for fire forming brass, working on zeroing loads roughly,
or just plain ammo to shoot.

Likely works well in big overbore magnums like .338 LM, maybe .300 WM with heavy bullets, and anything you are shooting RL 33 and N570 in that requires a slow burn powder. You won't likely beat $25 per lb. these days and if you are in or close to Tennessee maybe it could be a real deal.

Just got curious where any of this powder might be purchased, so I looked it up.

Check the hodgdon site. TAC is Belgium and sold in Europe as Wild Boar, Xterminator/Accurate 2230 is made in Belgium. Ramshot powders are made by PB Clermont in Belgium.
thats funny. I have the bottles in front of me that say different, all new stock within the last few months.