Bipod comparisons

Hi Inukshuk,
I have used both, and also a parker hale,which was excellent.
As the Versa pod mimics the parker hale this what i use now
(1/3rd the price of the parker hale). I particularrily like the lateral and radial movement it offers. My buddies all use harris's and it frightens the hell out of them when they have finished using my rifle on the bench and it drops to one side after letting go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also prefer the platform feet as they offer less grip to whatever surface you are shooting, then the rubber feet.

Centre Punch.

IMO the Versa-Pod is butt ugly.
I use and have bout every length/version of Harris & really like em. If u get one, make sure you get a swivel model. And if you can stand the weight Pick up a podlok & one of these: http://www.zephyrdc.com/

I have the new Sinclair and can tell you that it is about to get a significant improvement for hunting use. Sinclair just devised a slick quick-detach assembly for their bipod. Originally you had to remove your swivel stud and more or less permanently attach the Sinclair to your rifle. This is OK for F-Class shooting but not good for walking around with your rifle. Now the unit goes on and off very quickly and it is held securely.
The Sinclair has some advantages over the Harris, but also some disadvantages. The Harris is smaller, less stuff hanging on your rifle. It snaps up under the barrel so it is kind of out of the way. The Sinclair is a better shooting platform, big thing is your rifle is not perched on top so it recoils straight back. It is beautifully made, way more to it than a Harris or the others. Is it a hunting option - only for the long range stuff where you are have a bit of time to setup. It does not deploy quite as fast as the Harris but it is a hell of a rifle rest.
I also like the Harris bipods, use the swiveling ones and usually either the lowest (BR) or the next up in size. Have both notched and smooth leg models, not sure but probably like the notches better.
I would also consider shooting sticks and tripods from Stoney Point. Their new tripod shooting stick setup is great, as is the larger field tripod. I have hunted a lot with both and they are very good in the field.
Last hunts I did I put a Harris on the rifle and carried a set of Stoney Points in my pack. I would replace the Harris with the Sinclair if I was setting up in a ground blind.
Don't forget that backpacks, rolled up jackets, hats or anything that supports the rifle in the field also makes for good shooting rests. Always support both the front end of your rifle and the rear, just in front of the butt. Most guys forget to support the rear - makes a huge difference.
When I hunted in the arctic I used Stoney Point sticks and made nice long shots on caribou, but I regretted not putting a Harris on the rifle since we crawled around on smooth rocks and the Harris would have been better.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.