7mm vs 300wm recoil comparisons

...Only one problem a scope adds weight. Still want to see the 300 the OP talked about.

Yes sir, of course a scope adds weight. I posted "4.5 lb plus scope" and apologize if that wasn't clear enough.

Here are two photos one with a Swaro Z3, the newest with an NXS I just put on it. With the NXS as seen in the photo it weighs 6.9 lbs total. It is a great elk hunting rifle for all the hiking I do but it is too light to shoot as much as I want to without the Lead Sled. I aspire to learn more about LR shooting and acquire the skills and confidence to take game beyond 350 yards where I'm at now. This lightweight 300 is too harsh for that level of practice. I love this rifle, I enjoy shooting it but most people who shoot it at the range on a bench or mat hand it back after a few rounds.

Discovering that at least on paper a 7mm with better bullets can potentially produce equal or greater energy levels to the 300, I'm trying to figure out if producing that same KE is still less recoil so that it would allow me to practice even more and I'd be building a 2lb heavier setup than the one I have now.

As you've requested I've posted a few photos below.

Thanks! Robert

Attachments

• IMG_3243.JPG
    IMG_3243.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6862.JPG
    IMG_6862.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 73
Yes sir, of course a scope adds weight. I posted "4.5 lb plus scope" and apologize if that wasn't clear enough.

Here are two photos one with a Swaro Z3, the newest with an NXS I just put on it. With the NXS as seen in the photo it weighs 6.9 lbs total. It is a great elk hunting rifle for all the hiking I do but it is too light to shoot as much as I want to without the Lead Sled. I aspire to learn more about LR shooting and acquire the skills and confidence to take game beyond 350 yards where I'm at now. This lightweight 300 is too harsh for that level of practice. I love this rifle, I enjoy shooting it but most people who shoot it at the range on a bench or mat hand it back after a few rounds.

Discovering that at least on paper a 7mm with better bullets can potentially produce equal or greater energy levels to the 300, I'm trying to figure out if producing that same KE is still less recoil so that it would allow me to practice even more and I'd be building a 2lb heavier setup than the one I have now.

As you've requested I've posted a few photos below.

Thanks! Robert

I did a quick comparison with my last load for my SAKO M995 in .300 WM (10 lbs hunt ready) with your 6.9 rifle below for recoil only in relation to rifle weight ...

RECOIL%20CALC%20COMP_zpsgnvbnehx.jpg

You probably know already that if you use lead sled with excessive counter weight to reduce/eliminate recoil like you have shown, something has to give, i.e. the weakest point ... more than likely, it's the stock.

I use lead sled (older model) too but I don't use any counter weights, during barrel break-in and load development. Once I am happy with the load, I shoot prone in hunt configuration and adjust accordingly to fine tune load.

Thank you very much Mr. FEENIX I'm very grateful that you'd take the time to do that comparison and post it. This is an amazing group of hunters here. Thank you!

The three extra pounds in your example marks a substantial reduction in the free recoil of 35%. I think from that I can easily see from your numbers that a two pound heavier rifle for me at nine pounds chambered down in 7mm would give me at least that or close to it

No, I was not aware of the potential for Lead Sled issues. I only use it like this for instance zeroing that new scope but that is good to know. I don't mind sucking it up for the recoil at the range but it definitely limits how long I can go and it took a while to build up to 20 rounds or more.

I really appreciate your help.

All the best! Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.