7mm vs 300wm recoil comparisons

RobStar

As an example if you are shooting the same 175gr bullet out of a 7mm rem mag and 300wm with "book suggested middle of the road loads" and same weight rifle would the felt recoil be the same?

I've read lots of recoil info online that points to lesser felt recoil for the 7mm rem mag over the 300wm but none of it specifies what bullet weight. On the surface it appears to me that the charge it takes to propel a 175gr bullet is going to be the same regardless of caliber. Does that make sense?

My 4.5 pound plus scope elk / sheep mountain rifle in 300 win mag even with muzzle brake is too light to enjoy shooting and practicing long range very much and I'm thinking of building up a 50% heavier 7mm for lesser recoil and better long range energy with the new high BC bullets. That would take me from a total 6.9 lb rifle w/scope up to an 8.9 lb rifle with scope that would be more suitable to LR pursuits.

I'd appreciate some comments and suggestions. The range is HOT! gun)

Thanks!

Robert

What brake do you have on it? Have you looked up the reviews? Not all brakes are created equal. And just because it was an expensive well known brake with a cool name also doesn't mean it's the best available. Not saying that is the case for you. But some of the common brakes actually do poorly in the recoil test results.

Also, it sounds like you don't mind adding some weight for a bit of added comfort. Those BreaKO liquid mercury tubes in the buttstock work decently well.

Hey Rob, you must be tougher than a 5lb steak for 1$ to practice with a 4.5 lb 300 lol , justsayin

If you're shooting the same weight bullet it doesn't make any difference. Bullet weight, velocity, powder charge, gun weight, and muzzle brake will determine recoil.

The big thing here is shooting high-BC bullets. A 180 grain 7mm bullet is going to be fairly heavy and have a high BC for that caliber. To get a similar BC from a 30 caliber you'll need to get up around 210-215 grains and that means a bunch more recoil.

If you get a good brake on there and finish at 9 lbs it should be comfortable to shoot either way.

Hey Rob, you must be tougher than a 5lb steak for 1$ to practice with a 4.5 lb 300 lol , justsayin

I have a 8# rem700 lightweight in 375 h@h with no brake that still shoots sub moa from the bench if you want to play with a bit of a mule. I have been offered decent $$ for the rifle but won't part with it.

What brake do you have on it? Have you looked up the reviews? .......

Thank you for asking! The rifle is a Rifles Inc Lightweight Strata and it comes with a Quiet Slimbrake II brake that looks like the one in the photo attached below. Again this is my mountain / elk rifle and I shoot it really well at 350yds or less; the distance I practice at and generally hunt at. But I aspire to learn to shoot farther. It's not that the gun is not accurate but after a little over 500 rounds through it now, I really don't care to put another 500 through it practicing for LRH if you know what I mean. lightbulb
That is why I'm looking at 7mm plus a heavier rifle and trying to find a happy medium between energy transfer, recoil and weight in the field. Nothing is written in stone so I'm open to suggestions and comments.

Thanks! Robert

Attachments

• l_339101270_6.jpg
    l_339101270_6.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 73
This is difficult to quantify, because, felt recoil is perceived, free recoil is a figure put on a swinging rifle in a cradle without anyone shouldering it.
Rifle stock design has a far greater influence on felt recoil, so, once again, it's difficult to answer.
My belief is that rifles that have a straight comb, with little drop, are more comfortable to shoot than rifles that drop dramatically at the heal, like a lot of shotguns.
A good recoil pad is second to none for controlling recoil, those hard immovable pads a lot of rifles come with do nothing in taming heavy recoil.
I have rifles ranging from 17 Rem to 505 Gibbs, anything above 30 cal has a Pachmeyer Decellerator, I'm not a fan of being beaten to death by my rifles!!

Cheers.
gun)

If what you wrote is correct a 4.5 lb .300 mag it's no wonder it kicks like 3 mules !!! It would take a stout heart to enjoy shooting that off a bench for more than 4 shots...maybe I'm getting whimpy in my old age !! It would definitely get your attention !

I would like to see a picture of your lightweight 300. I can't visualize a rifle that light. What did you do to it? What scope is on it? Any pics?

Thanks Feenix seeing the Rifle Inc 5 lb RIFLE helps. Short lightweight stock with what looks like a #1 profile barrel. Only one problem a scope adds weight. Still want to see the 300 the OP talked about.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.