Bighorn tl3 thoughts

Yes sir they are great. Honestly I'm considering building off their long actions from now on. That way I can truly switch between all calibers and even run the heavies in short action magnums. Foundation stocks called me today. Eeeekkkk.....

I'm pretty happy with my two big Horn origins. Definitely have smoothed out with use. Are there smoother actions when run really slow? Probably. But when you're just cycling it without thinking it's just that, thoughtless. It just seems to run. Building a 6.5 PRC hunting rifle in the one origin but I only have the action and trigger so far.

Love my TL3. If I had it do over again I would not have gotten the AW cut as it is totally uncecessary.

I really wanted an action I could change barrels/calibers. On so it can grow with my shooting tastes years to come. At the time that meant a Bighornor a Mausingfield. Now there are other actions that are made as precisely that gunsmith can prefit a shouldered barrel without needing to see the action. So far I have not see this offered for Defiance actions as they are too individual and need to be measured/recorded at least once by your gunsmith. Not the end of the world but with the TL3 I can order a shouldered prefit (or a savage style too is the aestetic suits you) from a number of different gunsmiths. Not sure if that is important to the OP or not.

My bighorn tl3 long action will be here next week ,then im sending it down to west texas ordinance for a swithlug build to get a 6.5-280 ai built off a 1/7 tw for the new 156 berger eol elite hunters . my second barrel will be a .458 smokeless muzzleloader with the asg gen 2 ignition ill post more on performance in the future

Please do. I plan to have my smith build me a muzzleloader off of my 22 Dasher Tl3.

My bighorn tl3 long action will be here next week ,then im sending it down to west texas ordinance for a swithlug build to get a 6.5-280 ai built off a 1/7 tw for the new 156 berger eol elite hunters . my second barrel will be a .458 smokeless muzzleloader with the asg gen 2 ignition ill post more on performance in the future

I also have a TL3 in 6.5 creedmoor and really love this action. It may be looser than my Defiance action but it doesn't run rough when stuff gets dirty. I want to build on a long action next.

Once you have the switch lug on it c an you still use off the shelf pre cut barrels?

Once you have the switch lug on it c an you still use off the shelf pre cut barrels?

No you will not be able to but yes you can. The barrels will now need to be cut differently for the different types of switchLug systems than a standard shouldered barrel but can certainly be done. I would contact you gunsmith of choice.

The WTO Switchlug does not apply torque to the barrel so you will invariably get more RTZ error with this system. The way it is designed is you fit the barrel to whatever torque you want (hand or wrench) and tgen tighten the Switchlug to keep the barrel from unscrewing. High enough torque will also keep the barrel from unscrewing so the "advantage" is that you can keep the barrel from unscrewing without applying a high anount of torque. This means the bearing surface of the treads along thelength of the tenon have a loose fit and the only bearing surface finctioning is the new narrow "tenon" provided in the thickness of the Switchlug. Combine this with the ability to rock clockwise and counter-clockwise through any tomerance in the pins from the Switchlug to the receiver face and you end up with an easy system to keep barrel from falling off but a rather variable Return to Zero ability.

The ARC Barloc system is again different and has a couple different versions wether you go with a barrel nust system or a shoulder system. Both systems allow for the barrel to be hand tightened. When the barloc is tightened the opposing angles force the barrel away from the receiver creating tension on the threads of the barrel tenon just as if it was a standard shouldered barrel.
Here is a discussion between those two options
http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/arc-barloc.6888166/

The Barloc appears to be the more consistent of the 2 types of aftermarket switch barrel clamping system simply by design.

A switch barrel setup using standard shouldered barrels will invariable be the most consistent because it has the fewest connecting parts to avoid stacking tolerances.
https://forum.snipershide.com/threa...ystem-tl3-xlr-evo-6-dasher-223-wylde.6667070/

Which system, I think, depends upon you accuracy needs at time of switching the barrel and how much time and tools you will need to switch versus how often you will switch barrels. In my opinion the WTO Switchlug is sufficient if RTZ is not needed more than minute of deer and ranges are rather short. The other 2 options would be much better suited if using for matches or long range.

I would recommend you avoid opinions of the systems, including mine, and judge for yourself based upon design and user's measured results. There are several good tests of all three systems if you look in various forums.

No you will not be able to but yes you can. The barrels will now need to be cut differently for the different types of switchLug systems than a standard shouldered barrel but can certainly be done. I would contact you gunsmith of choice.

The WTO Switchlug does not apply torque to the barrel so you will invariably get more RTZ error with this system. The way it is designed is you fit the barrel to whatever torque you want (hand or wrench) and tgen tighten the Switchlug to keep the barrel from unscrewing. High enough torque will also keep the barrel from unscrewing so the "advantage" is that you can keep the barrel from unscrewing without applying a high anount of torque. This means the bearing surface of the treads along thelength of the tenon have a loose fit and the only bearing surface finctioning is the new narrow "tenon" provided in the thickness of the Switchlug. Combine this with the ability to rock clockwise and counter-clockwise through any tomerance in the pins from the Switchlug to the receiver face and you end up with an easy system to keep barrel from falling off but a rather variable Return to Zero ability.

The ARC Barloc system is again different and has a couple different versions wether you go with a barrel nust system or a shoulder system. Both systems allow for the barrel to be hand tightened. When the barloc is tightened the opposing angles force the barrel away from the receiver creating tension on the threads of the barrel tenon just as if it was a standard shouldered barrel.

The Barloc appears to be the more consistent of the 2 types of aftermarket switch barrel clamping system simply by design.

A switch barrel setup using standard shouldered barrels will invariable be the most consistent because it has the fewest connecting parts to avoid stacking tolerances.
https://forum.snipershide.com/threa...ystem-tl3-xlr-evo-6-dasher-223-wylde.6667070/

Which system, I think, depends upon you accuracy needs at time of switching the barrel and how much time and tools you will need to switch versus how often you will switch barrels. In my opinion the WTO Switchlug is sufficient if RTZ is not needed more than minute of deer and ranges are rather short. The other 2 options would be much better suited if using for matches or long range.

I would recommend you avoid opinions of the systems, including mine, and judge for yourself based upon design and user's measured results. There are several good tests of all three systems if you look in various forums.

Thanks for the info! As far as the Wto switchlug , thats all ive researched besides the accuracy international. if i can get a return to zero of 1 moa or under and re- zero everything with my ammunition thats already been validated this system should work just fine in my opinion, but we will see! if it doesnt work ill be calling wto and will report back of my expierence with this system !

Thank you Wisegunner! Very well presented. Gives me a lot of thought and research to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.