big horn sheep vs 210 berger

tjonh2001

i am leaving this thursday to go after a big horn sheep. this is the first animal with my 300 rum that i am shooting 210 bergers out of. i have tested this gun and am comfortable with shots to 1000. my concern is have any of you guys tested this bullet up close say 100 to 300 just want to make sure that this wont destroy the animal or cape. i have shot alot of bergers in 6mm and 7mm and great sucsess.

As for close ups with the 210 VLD's. I took the Bull in my signature at 250 yards, an Aoudad ram at 300, many deer from 200 to 400. All with 210 Bergers at 3050 MV from my 30-378. No tracking required and no huge holes.

I would say you are all set! Have a great hunt and take lots of pics.

gun)gun)

Jeff

thats what i was hoping to hear this rifle shoots 210 at 3070fps. seams like a great combo. the only thing that would make this a better hunt is if i got to shoot the ram myself. my job is to supply the rifle walk my brother thrugh the shot and of course help pack this thing out. i will bring picture and maybe even a video

Make sure you shoot it to the rear of the rib cage, otherwise you stand a good chance fo having a baseball size hole blown through your cape. I have a beautiful B&C ram hanging on my wall. I shot it with 7mm 160 partitions. They went in 7mm and came out about nickel size. All behind the cape area, the cape area being the front half of the ribs. If I would have had to put one through the cape, it would have been fairly easy to hide.

If I was going after a once in a life time Big Horn Ram, I would use nothing but a monometal.

Just my $.02

-MR

I just got back from Wyoming and shot 3 antelope 1 buck 2 doe with a 30378 with a muzzle velocity of 3230. Closest was 200 yards straight on thru the sternum, bullet went in thru bone and exploded breaking both shoulder joints and destroying the heart and surrounding tissue. Other two were rt behind shoulder at 292 and 300 and only one exited with a large hole. I was very impressed with bullet performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.