185 Vs. 210 Berger

Iden

I am in the process of setting up a 300 win mag. I am going to use the rifle for everything from antalope to Elk. I am hoping to be able to reach out to 1000 yards for elk, and a lil bit farther for deer and antalope. The question i have for is what bullet would work better. I am choosing between the berger 185 grain hunting VLD or the 210 hunting VLD. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

The 210 or even the 230 VLD Hands down! And I doubt anyone will disagree since you have elk in the mix. I shoot a lot of elk with my 300 win qnd 210 Bergers, my son is using the 230's in his 300 win. The 230 matches velocity with th 210 by 1000 yards but brings with it 130 lbs more energy. We have tested the 230's on several antelope out to 738 yards, a large Muley buck at 893, a Bull at 511 and a cow at 400. All were DRT.

1000 yards is the max range we would take an elk with a 300. And at 1000 only in steller conditions where we can be sure of good shot placement.

The Berger bullet is designed to go in and fragment off some of its weight sending fragments into vitals leaving the animal with nothing to walk away with. By choosing the larger weight offerings in the Berger selection you are assuring major carnage and most of the time a good sized portion of the bullet retained to exit.

So, use the big ones in your 300 win, place them in the crease behind the front shoulder and watch them fall in the scope.

Jeff

Try both and see what shoots best for you.

Remember when you are doing your build, you need a faster twist if you are going to use the heavier bullets.

I believe if you look on Berger's site they have recommendations for twis rates, but if I were building one specifically for the 200gr or heavier bullets I think I'd probalby go with a 1:9 or 1:9.5.

I believe if you look on Berger's site they have recommendations for twis rates, but if I were building one specifically for the 200gr or heavier bullets I think I'd probalby go with a 1:9 or 1:9.5.

The 1 in 10 is the most common twist for any 300 win build even with heavy bullets up to the 230 Berger. It is recommended and will stabilize the 210s and the 230 Bergers. We shoot 1/2 moa groups at 1000 with my sons 300 wm with a 10 twist and 230's. If you read on Bergers site you will find where the 230's were designed with the 300 WM in mind with a 1 in 10 twist.

Stated on the Berger Bullet boxes is 1 in 10 or faster for the 230's, and 1 in 11 or faster for the 210's.

Jeff

Normally I would go 210 (which I still support), but after watching E.O.L. on the sportsman channel, I don't think you'll be under gunned to 1000 with 185's pushed as fast as they can go accurately from your rifle. They are using a 300RUM and 30-378 McMillan rifles dumping Gemsbock, Black and Blue Wildebeest at ranges from 800 to 925yds. Granted the Wildebeest required 2 shots... it put some faith in me and the abilities of that bullet. However, nothing wrong going with the 210, 215, or 230 grain Berger.

Thank u for all the input. Another thing I was wondering about between these two bullets is if the 210 would creat massive meat damage compared to the 185gr. This would only be a concern when deer or antalope hunting. Thanks again for all the advice.

Thank u for all the input. Another thing I was wondering about between these two bullets is if the 210 would creat massive meat damage compared to the 185gr. This would only be a concern when deer or antalope hunting. Thanks again for all the advice.

The 185 will most likely damage more meat when shooting animals at closer ranges because of increased impact velocity.

Velocity and placement is what I have found to be the two things that ruin meat. More so than bullet weight.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.