190 vs 210 vld

blownsmok97

I just purchased a 300 win mag m700 i am building and am getting read to work up a load for it. Was just wondering would it be better to shoot the berger 190's with a little lower bc but higher velocity or the 210's with the higher bc and slightly lower velocity?
Would it make that big of a difference?
This would be for hunting/target shooting out to 1000 yards.

Michael,
nice to see you posting again.
I always look forward to your threads.
Anyway, I shoot the 190's out of a 24" 300WM, and do not feel undergunned out to 800 yards for elk.
Don't see the need to shoot the 210's, at that point I would go to a 338 EDGE w/ 3000 SMK for distance beyond that.

Inside 600yards the 190 is the better bullet. When the distance gets longer than that, the BC of the 210 takes over. Long shots are all about doping the wind.

Thanks guys I was leaning towards the 190 but then got stewing about the 210. If it was an ultra I would go with 210s but wasn't sure if the win mag would be able to take advantage of the 210

I shoot the 300winmag and chose the 210vld for the reasons listed above. I plan on taking this rifle out to 1200yds, and at those ranges the 210 has a significant advantage in wind drift. I have also just started testing some 208 amax as well.

Thanks guys I was leaning towards the 190 but then got stewing about the 210. If it was an ultra I would go with 210s but wasn't sure if the win mag would be able to take advantage of the 210

Always remember that distance to the target is one of the few pieces of data that we can know and with good software can 'dial for the distance' (even taking into account incline/decline). It's doping the wind that is most difficult. The best way to make a determination as to what will work for you is to the numbers and look at drift for the ranges you intend to shoot. I might have been slightly mistaken earlier. Running the numbers in exbal with the 190 @ 3050 and the 210 @ 2950, they match in terms of drift at 600. It's not until ~1k that the 210 starts to shine with .25moa less drift.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.