168gr vs 210gr Berger VLD

zbrouillette

I have been shooting the 168gr Berger VLD out of my 300WSM and have been pleased but after reading the Berger Reloading Manual and half of Bryan Litz's book was thinking of changing to the 210gr VLD for a better G7BC and G7FF. Running the numbers on the new Berger ballistics program it looks like the increase in energy and less wind drift would out weigh the increase in drop. I am new to shooting past 600yds and would appreciate your thoughts.

The only .30 caliber I currently have is my .308 Win, and I loaded some 210 VLD's and it shot incredible! I just loaded some 168 VLD's the other day to try out this afternoon.

I have been shooting the 168gr Berger VLD out of my 300WSM and have been pleased but after reading the Berger Reloading Manual and half of Bryan Litz's book was thinking of changing to the 210gr VLD for a better G7BC and G7FF. Running the numbers on the new Berger ballistics program it looks like the increase in energy and less wind drift would out weigh the increase in drop. I am new to shooting past 600yds and would appreciate your thoughts.

If you are going past 600 the bigger bullet will serve you well. Little bullets that start out faster just slow down quicker. The heavier higher BC bullet will be the faster one down range and will hold more velocity and energy too.

Jeff

PS: I would not over look the 215's either.

Any of the high BC 200s+ should serve you well past 600 vs, the 168s. Have fun and enjoy the added energy with less wind drift.:D

If you are going past 600 the bigger bullet will serve you well. Little bullets that start out faster just slow down quicker. The heavier higher BC bullet will be the faster one down range and will hold more velocity and energy too.

Jeff

PS: I would not over look the 215's either.
Same reason why a .50 BMG shooting a 660gr projectile @ just under 3,000 fps can reach on out to well over a mile and still be quite effective. More factors than speed alone, play into lethality at distance. Alot of people that are new to LRS or LRH are not aware of this.

Thanks for the advice, if I can ever get my hands on some more supplies I will get some 210's loaded up. Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts