300 WSM 210 vs 215 Berger

Lpart

I am just finishing the build on a 300 WSM. This is done in a long action with a 25" Bartlein barrel. After reading many posts here, particularly from Broz, I have decided to try the heavy Bergers here - either the 210's or the 215's. This is primarily for hunting elk, deer and sheep at ranges inside 600 yards. Will shoot steel to 1,000 or a little more. I am looking for help in deciding which bullet to use and powders and loads. With long action I should be able to seat the bullet out a little and gain a little powder capacity. I am hoping to be able reach around 2850 fps. Is this reasonable and would anyone be willing to share some loads with me?

I would go with the 215 hybrid over the 210. H-1000 would be a good powder to try with the 215's or 210's if that is the route you go. I am currently running H-1000 with the 215's in my 300wsm. Not sure what the velocity is or the charge is at the moment but I do know it shoots great.

I've just started load development with 215's in mine, I shot a ladder with nosler brass, CCI 250, RL 17 61-65 grains good accuracy in early stages. Caution possible high pressure! Not for every gun.... I shot a ladder of 9 rounds around 2" @ 250 and 2 possible nodes with .5 grain incraments hitting 1/2" of each other horizontaly. I'm optimistic I'll get something decent out of the this with a little more work. BTW. I'm loading with .010 jump to lands. But will try a few depths later in development. Also I'm shooting 1-11 twist.

Will those bergers open up at close distances? I shoot partitions under 500 yards because I have heard the VLD's are a no no for close stuff.

Will those bergers open up at close distances? I shoot partitions under 500 yards because I have heard the VLD's are a no no for close stuff.

Whoever told you that hasn't put them on game!! My mule deer this year was shot at 300 yards with a 308 Win with a 215 Berger, fairly heavy quartering away and it blew his lungs all over the ground, his heart look like a frag grenade went of inside of him. Ya, they'll do just fine :D

I have heard from on many fronts that the Reloader 17 is temperature sensitive and that it causes issues. What is the concensus here?

RL-17 is temp sensative but if you figure out what the change is in fps per degree in change you should be fine. I use RL-17 in my 300wsm with the 168gr Hybrid for groundhogs and mid range deer hunting and works great in any temperature. Once you know how many fps per degree your load changes you can plug that into the shooter app and will change your velocity based on the current conditions to get the correct drops. I wouldn't be afraid to use any powder out there if it works for your load, just might have to do a little more work. You will need an accurate chrono to do this because you will need to get velocity and temp readings for those couple of range sesions to do it. Take for instance you went out and it was 38f and your load averaged 2850fps then you went out again a different day and the temp was 56f and had an average velocity of 2875. You know you had a difference of 18 degrees and a velocity change of 25fps, so just using those numbers take 25/18 and you would get a 1.39fps change per degree of temp change for that load.

Duane Waterson, please keep us posted with your results. I am really interested in the performance of 215 hybrids in 1-11" twist rate. Mine is also a 1-11" but I was afraid of trying them... What is the atmosphere pressure where you are located?

Duane Waterson, please keep us posted with your results. I am really interested in the performance of 215 hybrids in 1-11" twist rate. Mine is also a 1-11" but I was afraid of trying them... What is the atmosphere pressure where you are located?

I am about 900' above sea level. Pressure was 30.27 day I shot.

Went back out to the range today. Shot few groups of different seating depths of same charge. Seems as if my gun likes them close to the lands. ( .010) off. My best group today was a four shot 1.100" CTC. This picture is best group I shot today @260 yds. Had some information passed along to me today from Bryan litz himself He said even when obtaining good groups, expect the BC. To be reduced by 5-10% due to marginally stability. I have asked him if I should expect to lose stability at long range, but no response yet. (I'm sure he is a busy man)

Attachments

• IMG_20150102_165921.jpg
    IMG_20150102_165921.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 184
Duane, he said the same to me, so I stay with VLD 210... I don't remember that we spoke about stability at longer ranges, so I hope he will answer to you soon...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.