Big 7 vs Big 30 --- long range rifle cartridge selection

I think we get lost and focus just on ft/lbs energy when we talk about which calibers when really there's so many other factors to consider as well. The big 338's I personally don't even consider an option unless you are planning on shooting over 1000 yards. Do these other calibers arrive with more energy? Yes! But do you need it is the question. No doubt the big 30 have more power and therefore "more killing potential" but that doesn't mean that the lesser calibers are not effective. I think there was a poll on here and most shooters have never taken game past 700 yards, now j know there are lots that have but these are exceptional shooters and not the norm. My realistic range isn't to 1000 so shy would I need a gun that has better power at ranges I won't even be hunting, especially when there are option that fit my needs more appropriately. There's no doubt on pure numbers the n
Big 30 have more killing potential than the 7's and the big 338's more than the 30's but there are always individual factors to consider that make make a lesser chambering a better choice. Don't get me wrong though I love the idea of a 300 RUM and one day it will be the right choice for me, it just isn't right now.

I didn't read the entire thread so I apologize if I missed the goal. If 700 yards is the goal, a big 7 should be just fine. My statement was more intended for extreme ranges....Rich

There actually wasnt a goal given it was just my interjection, based more on my realitic expirence of ehere i hunt. Kind of food for thought. So when I see big 7 vs big 30 the argument always goes to energy in which the big 30 will always win. But theres more to the arguement than just energy in my opinion. Maybe there are more hunters that hunt out to a 1000 and beyond but I suspect that most longrange hunting takes place in the 500-800 yard range. I was just hoping to make aware that are often more factors to consider that just bullet x in y caliber arrives with this much energy so because bullet z in xy caliber is better because it arrives with more. The experienced shooters already know this stuff it's the new shooters reading these threads and wanting to learn that I was hoping to make think. My gunsmith says he has customers come in and want a big longrange shooter, he makes more 338 edges than anything, and that more of those guns sit in safes than the others because they get intimitated by them. Then they don't really listen his advice because they already know what they want. They come to places like here and read that these are the ultimate cartridge, which they are, for longrange hunting but often overlook the other factors that are equally important.

I prefer a 30 cal for more reasons than that.
-Barrel life. Bigger diameter at same speed 30 wins.
-Momentum- imo equally important to K.E.- more wt. wins.
-& Bullet selection. Now that we have some higher b.c. bullets we can finally compare apples to apples when looking at 7 vs 30 instead of the same old apples to oranges people have clung to for so long.
Now recoil is a personal matter. No one but the person shooting can say what's right or wrong for them. It seems the #' s reflect the 7 mm as the clear winner in the mild recoil department. There are those folks who love thier 7mm's & are quite effective with them. Hats off to em', & good luck to em'. I wish you all success.

But having watched videos posted on L/R/H of little kids nockin the snot out of deer waaaaay out there, with some monster sized cartriges, I'd venture to guess that recoil was very mild. Obviously weight of the firearm was a factor, but there are some very effective muzzle breaks on the market now a days, & also decelerator pads, & mercury reducers if all else fails.
Besides my 270 wsm, & -06, I shoot an un braked 300 Wby, & unbreaked 338 wm so maybe I'm just very tollerable of recoil. But most of the guys I shoot with are the same way, so I never figured I was odd man out in that dept.
Personally I'd opt for the 30 every time, but that's just my opinion.

Very good points and no argument there. However somethings to consider is the 7's with better bc result in a better profile, which in field conditions might make up for shot placement ie not reading the wind quite right. So this may result in a bullet hitting with better placement than another hitting the edge or just off the kill zone. I do respect everyones opinions here and all of these are true and important parts of deciding what to build. I'm currently building a 7 RM but after proving that I'm capable and expirenced enough to hunt at extreme ranges I will be rebarreling to a braked 300 RUM for the Exact points you make.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.