big 7 or big 30

7 AM for sure with the 195 at 3300 thats a no brainier.
What's the lifespan on that-- 300 shots??-- she'll likely be dead by the time you get a load for it. I think much more than the 7stw is a problem in 7mm; you just don't get enough bore life to get one working before it's dead unless the stars align really well. I'd do a monster like that if I could get enough bore life to shoot critters for a few years with it, but I just don't see it happening.

No clue.....You might be surprised. Ask Kirby Allen. He's on here. His handle is "Fiftydriver". I'm sure he could shed some more light about the Allen Magnums. He's a really nice guy...Don't be afraid to ask questions.

No clue.....You might be surprised. Ask Kirby Allen. He's on here. His handle is "Fiftydriver". I'm sure he could shed some more light about the Allen Magnums. He's a really nice guy...Don't be afraid to ask questions.

He has talked about that before, somewhere. His personal 7am had a good bit more rounds through it that I thought he'd get. A lot of it depends on how you treat it.

get the barrel nitraed and it will last 1500 rounds give or take.

Nitride is good. What about Melonite coating? Will it be just as good?

SBN & Meloniting (from what I understand) are pretty much the same thing. The process is Nitrocarburizing to bore surface to increase hardness & lubricity (make it slippery).

Salt Bath Nitriding

Melonite QPQ Process The Melonite QPQ process is a multi step process that provides a very uniform consistent nitride layer on your components. The first step of the process is a preheat to raise the components surface temperature to about 700 - 800°F in air. The product is then transferred to the MEL 1/TF1 tank containing the liquid Melonite salt to begin the Nitrocarburizing process. The salt melt mainly consists of alkali cyanate and alkali carbonate. It is operated in a pot made from special material, and the pot is fitted with an aeration device. The active constituent in the MEL 1 / TF 1 bath is the alkali cyanate. The Nitrocarburizing process step is conducted in the MEL 1 / TF 1 bath at 896-1166°F, the standard temperature is usually 1076°F. When ferrous alloys are immersed into the bath it creates a reaction with the salt and begins to diffuse nitrogen and a small amount of carbon into the substrate. Because the Melonite process is a liquid nitriding processs, the nitride layer is extremely uniform on inside surfaces as well as outside surfaces. The product is allowed to soak in the MEL 1/TF 1 bath for a predetermined period to achieve the desired cased depth and compound layer thickness. Unlike gas nitriding or gas nitro-carburizing, the substances – MEL 1 / TF 1 and REG 1 - needed for the MELONITE®- and QPQ®-process, do not contain constituents classified as toxic or harmful to the environment. A specially developed cooling bath (AB 1 bath) is used for carrying out the oxidative treatment after salt bath nitrocarburizing. During this treatment, a black iron oxide layer (magnetite) is produced on the surface of the treated parts, which greatly enhances the corrosion resistance. The temperature of the cooling bath is 700 - 800°F. Apart from the oxidative effect, the bath has a positive influence on the dimensional stability of the cooled components.

t

My last 7rum only went 600 shots; the Allen's a lot more gun than that... my 7stw was still shooting well at 1500 shots when I traded her.
Man, I hope my Sendero lasts that long!

This is exactly why I would go with a 7mm STW.

Manageable recoil so it does not require a muzzle brake too!

I love my 7mm STWs! :)
Agree with both of yall! I think he should go with a STW.

You're welcome mud.

Gents, please remember, that 7rum might have only lasted 600 rounds (did you set it back?). You are comparing a factory barrel to the Top Tier custom barrel that Kirby uses. While Rem barrels are ok, they simply cannot compete with the custom made, hand lapped barrels.

Will an untreated 7am make it 1000 rounds? Nope, probably not. That would be the price you pay for that type of performance. It's going to be up to the OP to choose what he wants/needs. He's already got a 338 Lapua, the STW is not going to offer anything the Lapua cannot already do (minus the recoil).

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.