Best

Used for shooting deer at 800-1000 yards I would give the 6.5x284 more than the slight advantage being discussed over the 25-06AI. Comparing the the 115 and 140 Bergers, the 6.5x284 with 140 has 30-40% advantage in energy at 800-1000yards and more importantly much better penetration due to the 30% better sectional density of the bullet. The deer I have shot at those ranges have had complete pass throughs with substantial tissue damage on broadside shots. The higher muzzle velocity of the 25-06AI takes it in the neck due to the inferior BC of .479 with the 115gr. compared to 140gr at .612. At the short/ mid ranges, the practical differences between the two begin to diminish.

So now that Ive made up my mind for the 6.5, Im just wondering if I need a #6 contour shilen or a #5? I have a 5.5 on my 280AI and I love it but I cant find a 6.5mm in a 5.5 contour. It will be in a hs precision stock and I dont want to have to take out a lot of channel to free float a #6 contour but Im worried about a 5 being to light.

So now that Ive made up my mind for the 6.5, Im just wondering if I need a #6 contour shilen or a #5? I have a 5.5 on my 280AI and I love it but I cant find a 6.5mm in a 5.5 contour. It will be in a hs precision stock and I dont want to have to take out a lot of channel to free float a #6 contour but Im worried about a 5 being to light.
I'd say call Krieger, Bartlein, Benchmark and see if any of them have one in a light varmint or heavy sporter contour that finishes out around .75-.80 in a 6.5. That's the route I'd go anyhow.

I'm pretty sure Hart barrels will supply a 5.5 Douglas/Shilen taper in 6.5.

There are always good deals on the sale rack, classifieds, gunbroker, etc... provided you are willing to compromise on contour, length, twist, etc...

In the end, you're probably better off to order exaclty what you want from the maker.

I get frustrated with the lead times. But when you think about all of the permutations that it would take to satisfy everyone, it's just not practical for a custom barrel maker to risk overstocking the wrong item. For those who aren't particular in their requirements, there are always barrels to be had.

-- richard

Thanks guys I did find a 5.5 contour hart from midway for $354.00. I think Im going to go with the #6 shilen just to save a some $$$. I have 2 other rifles built with shilen barrels and both of those guns are tack drivers and I only paid $175 for each of those. I dont know anything about Brux, Kreiger, or Broughton except what I read on the forums, and I dont really want to spend almost $400 for a barrel. I know call me a cheap bastard.

CACEL THAT!!!!! i found what I want now shilen #17 contour Remington sendero/varmint cntour that will be a perfect fit for a HS/REM police stock, then I wont even have to do anymore channel inleting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.