Best scope?

Wisconsin_Boy

Hi am am looking for some advice on what scope to put on my 7mm....I am new to long range shooting and am on a budget of $1500..also i was wondering about range finders..anything helps..thanks

I'd recommend a Nightforce NXS but it's $1630. I'd try to squeeze another $130 out of your budget if you could. If you can't, the Luepold Mark 4s are close to the same quality and a few hundred less. I have both and I am very happy with both of them.
Try looking on Samplelist.com for some good quality used scopes.

+1 on NF. You can get yourself a very nice 3.5-15x50mm with illuminated
NP-R1 recticle for $1483.

I use a Leupold 6.5-20X Varix III with target turrets, Weaver T-24s, a Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14X and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X.

If you want the scope for long-range shooting, I would recommend the Zeiss, along with a 20 MOA Picatinny rail for your rifle. This would cost you less than $1K. This set-up should work for you all the way to 1200 yards.

For hunting, I would go with a Leupold 4.5-14X, again with a 20 MA Picatinny rail. I paid less than $700 at Bruno's, who has some of the lowest prices anywhere.

Good luck!

I have a NF 3.5x15 NPR2 on my .308 and love it! I'm having a .300 wsm built and thinking about another NSX but maybe in 5.5x22. The 3.5x15 will run you pretty close to 1500 by itself. Was your $1500 budget for scope and rangefinder or just scope?

I also recently looked through a Trijicon accupoint in 5.5 x 20 and I was really impressed with the glass. I was comparing it to a 6.5 x 20 Mark 4 and I ilked the glass way better in the Trijicon. As for rangefinders you can get a great deal on the Lecia 1200 right now. New they're down to 600 or so because the 1600 model is about to come out and used you can get them for less than 500. I bought my Lecia about 6 months ago and love it. Ranged deer and hogs out to 700 yrds. From what I hear they don't do that much further (maybe 900?) but I haven't had the opportunity to try yet over 700.

I have a NF 3.5x15 NPR2 on my .308 and love it! I'm having a .300 wsm built and thinking about another NSX but maybe in 5.5x22. The 3.5x15 will run you pretty close to 1500 by itself. Was your $1500 budget for scope and rangefinder or just scope?

I also recently looked through a Trijicon accupoint in 5.5 x 20 and I was really impressed with the glass. I was comparing it to a 6.5 x 20 Mark 4 and I ilked the glass way better in the Trijicon. As for rangefinders you can get a great deal on the Lecia 1200 right now. New they're down to 600 or so because the 1600 model is about to come out and used you can get them for less than 500. I bought my Lecia about 6 months ago and love it. Ranged deer and hogs out to 700 yrds. From what I hear they don't do that much further (maybe 900?) but I haven't had the opportunity to try yet over 700.

Thanks for the post the $1500 was just for the scope..

I would have to say Nightforce would be my first choice and Zeiss Conquest after that. The Nightforce is a tough as nails scope and has some of the most positive turrets around. The Conquest is not quiet as durable on the construction end, but still very well made and glass that is excellent. If you go with the Conquest, definitely go with a 20 MOA base. The Conquest does not have near the internal travel of the Nightforce. You won't go wrong with either.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.