best woodchuck setup

Nothing wrong with digging up old stuff. I sense your passion. I just wanted to make sure you knew they were old posts. In fact, **** near pre-creedmoor posts.
Pre-creedmoor days, life was soooo simple back then ;)

You really need to provide a bit more information before a good recommendation can be given. I am also a LH hunter. And ground hog hunting is definitely my favorite type of hunting. I have several rigs. And each rig is perfect for the type of hunting it is designed for. So how you will hunt is very important.

The perfect cartridge for the distance you are talking about is the 22-250. Shots to 450 yards are a bit too much for the 223 Remington and the 204 Ruger for ground hogs. You will have crawl offs with cartridges under the 22-250. So I would consider that the benchmark cartridge for the distance you are speaking of.

A heavy barrel rifle is not necessarily a must for that distance of shooting. As long as you do not do a lot of rapid firing.

Are you wanting a walking rifle--or a fixed position rifle??

That would be the most important question.

There are several choices in the price range you are wanting-once you decide the actual type of hunting you will be doing.

Does your price need to reflect the rifle--or the rifle and the scope??

You could buy a nice Encore and scope(Sightron SII 4X16) in a heavy or standard barrel in 22-250 for close to $800. That would be a great choice for a lefty.

The Savage and Tikkas shoot pretty well, but I just have to pass on the asthetics of the two rifles. And I will never go for a plastic magazine. I just can not do it. Tom.
The 204 at the ranges mentioned are running hotter than the 22/250, just saying. No crawl off at all out to 350 yards with my 204 so far. A 450 yard shot dropped a coyote drt, so I think a 204 could get er done.