best woodchuck setup

Tom,
how much money do you have into that encore that was pictured
thanks-charby

I did things a little differently than most. First I ordered an action only from a gunsmith. And I had him do the trigger job before he sent the action to me-So that saved me some money. Bellm did that particular trigger job, and he did a fantastic job. I had about $400 in the action(including trigger job).

I then odered the stock from EABCO. I got the stock and forend for about $160.

The barrel is a full bull, MGM 28" barrel. I think I paid about $325 for the barrel. + another $100(??) to have it ported by MGM.

The bases and rings are Warne. I think I have about $40 or $50 in them.

The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 6.5X20 with the Mil Dot. I think I have about $800 in the scope.

This is a little more than the author said he wanted to spend. However I have seen several Encores in a factory configuration for $500 to $600. I think the Pro Hunter is over priced. I have a drastically superior rifle over the Pro Hunter for about the same price. Tom.

IMG_0440.jpg

Savage LH varmint model (whichever suits your taste), in .22-250 Rem. I have a RB/LP one, and it groups about 3.5" @ 450 yd. The vertical spread is less than 1" tho, the wind is what spreads the group out. Plan on getting at least a 16 power scope tho, for consistent hits at that range.

Check out the review at the link below...:)

Good luck.

Here is a savage I built it's a target action RBLP with a pac-nor 30 inch 3 groove 6mm ackley with bench rest stock and 8-32x40 bushnell elite 4200. But buy a savage it's the best bang for the buck in 22-250 or a 243 you won't be sorry
Picture1208600x450.jpg

Last edited:
BTW...that's a sweet lookin' rig.

Thanks it shoots as good as it looks! I shot one chuck over 800 yards this year with it using hornady 87 grn vmax.I also use a 243 a 204 AND A 221 FIREBALL AND A 22 HORNET.They are all fun but the ackley is the one for shots over 400 yards.

Very true. You don't have to spend a boat load of money on a good chuck gun. I've owned a bunch of them. 22-250 &swiftest were always good. You can always graduate to more expensive and exotic models but rem 700's and ruger 77v's have worked great for me. We didn't have any really long range shots where we hunted ( my farthest kill being 560 yd ranged with my 22-250.
Of course you can use just about any caliber (provided it has decent velocity and you know where it's shooting)
My hunting partner always used a 300wm in 40x ( gorgeous and very accurate) not my personal choice but it worked very well.
In fact I have a couple chuck rigs in ruger, rem700,Savage Lr and a sako a7 that was only sighted in and never hunted (6.5 cr) that I may be interested in selling.
If so text me at 570 793 7498.
Bob ( chucknut)

I did things a little differently than most. First I ordered an action only from a gunsmith. And I had him do the trigger job before he sent the action to me-So that saved me some money. Bellm did that particular trigger job, and he did a fantastic job. I had about $400 in the action(including trigger job).

I then odered the stock from EABCO. I got the stock and forend for about $160.

The barrel is a full bull, MGM 28" barrel. I think I paid about $325 for the barrel. + another $100(??) to have it ported by MGM.

The bases and rings are Warne. I think I have about $40 or $50 in them.

The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 6.5X20 with the Mil Dot. I think I have about $800 in the scope.

This is a little more than the author said he wanted to spend. However I have seen several Encores in a factory configuration for $500 to $600. I think the Pro Hunter is over priced. I have a drastically superior rifle over the Pro Hunter for about the same price. Tom.

IMG_0440.jpg
Yep,I truly believe the trigger is almost as important as the caliber.
I love 2 stage on a stock gun but also timmney, etc.

Nothing wrong with digging up old stuff. I sense your passion. I just wanted to make sure you knew they were old posts. In fact, **** near pre-creedmoor posts.

I just became a member after reading LRHunting for a while. I'm really impressed with all the guys on it. Most are WAY above me in the knowledge department. I've reloaded for about 20 years ( only the older calibers..swift, 22-250,243,7-08,300wm.and the 6 & 6.5 Creedmoors)
Some of the calibers talked, I never knew existed..lol
But thanks for even noticing me.
Good shooting