BEST SCOPE MOUNTING SYSTEM FOR A SAKO 75 ACTION?

toader

I have 2 semi-custom sako 75 rifles (both in 300 win mag) and am currently using the sako Opti-Lok scope mounts.

Can you guys suggest the absolute strongest/best scope mounting system for these rifles? I have a couple of hunts booked and want the ABSOLUTE best mounting sytems on my guns. I'm really not concerned with price- I just want piece of mind taht my scope mounts are tough as nails!!

Here's my set-up:

Stainless Sako 75 300 Win Mag with muzzle brakes

Swarovski Av 3x10x42 scopes 1" tubes

Any thoughts on Sako's Opti-Lok mounting systems?

Thanks!!

I dont like any of the standard Sako mounting techinques, they just dont seem strong enough. Near Manufacturing makes a tactical style rail that is the best i have seen by far. It may be a little tough to get one dependent on if he has some in stock or not. Check Near Manufacturing out and if he has some in stock pick one up, you wont be dissapointed. Bill Bailey has one on his Sako custom 300 RUM and it is slick.

If Near doesnt have any I am sure some of the other manufacturers probably make them and you will still be happy.

Get a tactical style one piece rail and go with any of the assortment of rings. leupolds MK4 rings are good but heavy, they are making some aluminum models now. Seekins is making some similar rings that look **** nice. Nightforce rings are awesome. Leup also makes the PRW style rings and they are strong, steel, and light.

good luck
steve

I'm also not a fan of the Sako Optilocks. I have them on my .300 WM(M995 receiver).

Even if they do work they at least LOOK like they won't hold up.

Ordered mine from Richard at Near a few days ago. He was very helpful.

Near's stuff is pricey, but everything I've seen in reviews has been very positive.

WL

What don't you guys like about the Opti-Lok system? Even though I am looking for something else, I have had NO problems what-so-ever with them on my rifles so far. The polymer inserts in the rings really seem to hold the scope very tightly-almost the same and Burris Signature rings.

These are hunting rifles I have, and are not shot all that much as a competition rifle would be, but I want the strongest system available to "ease my mind" while hunting.

Thanks!!

300, bacause of what you said... "I want the strongest system available to "ease my mind" while hunting." That's basically what I said - it LOOKS bad. Mine also doesn't seem to fit perfectly, so not everything looks dead straight and parallell once tightened up.

And then what Lerch said... and that's the way I'm going. Confidence in our equipment is worth a lot more that we ever realise.

WL

Can't say that I've ever had a problem with the Optilocks on my Sako 75 .300 Wby and I've got somewhere around 900 - 1000 rounds through it. On the other hand, I've got a set of Conetrols on my other Sako 75 and I like them also. In fact, I'd say I prefer them. The projectionless rings are nice looking and they're very stout as far as I can tell.

With that said, I've been considering the Near Mfg. setup to replace the Optilocks. However, I'm just not sure if I want that much taper (20 MOA I think) in the bases since I don't shoot at 1000 yards.

Look at how your Optilocks actually secure - is everything nice and parallell, straight once tightened, lined up and so on. Mine aren't. Never had a "problem" though.

My Near Mfg base arrived yesterday. It'll be a while before I fit it, but it looks really nicely made. Richard at Near is very willing to help and give advice and guidance on all sorts of aspects surrounding your mounting set up and even your choice of scope.

I don't have experience with his product, but looking at it, I would say it's a good choice.

Wim

[ QUOTE ]
Near will make it without taper if you ask them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've already inquired once by email and he indicated that a 20MOA taper base was all he made for the Sako 75 long action, which is what I have. I'll ask again, though. I'd buy a base with 10MOA, but I don't really don't want one with more than that. I don't want to pay a ton of extra money for something custom either.

I have found some of the older Sako mounts that will fit on my Sako 75 rifle - anyone have experience with these older style Sako mounts??

I contacted Richard, at Near mfg last week about getting several bases for a couple of Sako projects I am working on. He does not have any in stock and didn't know when he was going to have time to do any. Basically, he is busy working on more popular (money making) projects and does not have time to re-tool/program for 3-4 bases.

Since I need these bases, I would like to put together a LRH buy so that those in need can get these for their projects.

I have one Near base for a Sako, and they are the best bases money can buy – especially when you consider the machine fit in the dovetail of the Sako action.

If you want a Sako base now is the time to get together and make a group order so he will machine these before the end of the year. Let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.