Sako 75 SS 7mm RUM

bjlooper

Last year I found a Sako 75 SS 7mm RUM at a good price $600 NIB. I didn't have any plans for it so it's just sitting in the afe collecting dust.
Would this be a OK start for a long range hunting rifle. I know it's not a 7mm AM, but it might be a cheap way to get started.
What Modifications would you make what optics. What about the 175gr TSX or the 160gr MRX for bullets. Is the Sako syn Stock stiff enough?
Thanks for the Help

Bjlooper,

While my 7mm AM will get you to a higher level of performance, at long range, the difference is not dramatic. Main advantage is the ability to drive heavier bullets and the better brass quality.

That said, anything in the class of a 7mm STW and up will be extremely impressive at long range with the proper bullet and in an accurate rifle. The Sako rifles are generally good shooters so I would say you are plenty well armed for long to even extreme range shooting depending on the rifles performance and your ability to load match grade ammo and your shooting ability.

If all those are top quality, the 7mm RUM has plenty of power for shooting out to any range you can hit a target reliably.

I would recommend using at least a 160 gr bullet. My personal favorite would be either an Accubond or one of the Wildcat Bullets. From there up you can use the 175 gr class bullets.

Depending on your twist rate, you may even be able to play with the 200 gr ULD RBBT Wildcats loaded to top velocities in the RUM. These are at the outer limits of a 1-9 twist but some are getting good results with them loaded to top velocities in the RUM in 1-9 barrels.

If they work you will have the current ultimate 7mm long range bullet. I say current because with faster twist there is alot more on the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

I personally would not feel undergunned at all comparing a RUM to my Allen Mag. They are both on the top end of the pile for the 7mm family.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.