Best Scope for under 1K

SurfDude

I have a 30-06 as I was told it was probably the best rifle to cover as many bases a possible (weather nor not thats the case, its a done deal, already go it so arguing otherwise is a moot point :( )

I live in SoCal and would like a good scope to go on a deer hunting mission (aka, hiking with a gun) but can also be fun to do some target shooting too. I know there are some trade offs between range scopes vs hunting scopes. Id much rather have a hunting scope to take to the range, than trying to take a heavy range scope hunting.... (or maybe i'm totally off)

I'm sure this topic has been rehashed over & over again. I'm thinking of under $800 for a scope (slightly flexible). Any suggestions? I've never hunted out here in CA (originally a KY native, where a 30-30 is more than enough) so i don't know what I'd be dealing with regarding this desert terrain.

Thoughts suggestions?

Thanks guys! I really love this forum & frequently visit it! Thanks for your knowledge & time.

J0sh

Hi Josh, that 30-06 should serve you well. As far as scopes go, there are many, many choices. Leupold vx3 with cds & fire dot would be a good choice under $800. Zeiss Conquest HD5 is probably a little over your $800 limit, but are very good scopes. The Nightforce SHV would also be a little over $800, but great scopes. Burris, Sightron, & Vortex would also be good choices. Also, you might get a better response if you post your scope question in the optics section!

You'll find that the vortex scopes are quite heavy, leupold has them beat in the weight department making them easier to pack (at least for me) I would look into a leupold VX3 4.5-14. Lightweight, great glass, and not too expensive.

SFP or FFP? I've always use SFP scope but my last 2 purchase (SWFA HD 5-25x50 and Burris Veracity 4-20x50) were FFPs ... and I'm liking it very much.

Check out the Burris Veracity line for under $800.

Burris® Veracity 4-20x50mm Riflescope w/ Ballistic E1 FFP Reticle FREE S&H 200640. Burris® Rifle Scopes.
Burris Veracity Riflescope w/ Ballistic E1 FFP Reitcle - 5-25x50mm FREE S&H 200650. Burris Rifle Scopes.

NOTE: If you're considering Sightron, you might want do a thorough research on their FFP reticle's visibility issue. The SFPs are OK.

Check out the video link #26 of this thread >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/reticle-hard-see-low-power-ffp-scope-156162/index4.html

Good luck!

Ed

all of you have listed some great scopes . Find a scope and CROSS HAIR that works for you. the Leopold has good glass I cant find a cross hair I like . I shoot the zeiss hd 5 in 3 to 15 by 42mm I have 4 of them on different rifles. you can get deals on the web if you look. also don't go cheap on the mounts and rings I use Talley one piece units. I hope this helps. what ever you like and works for u is the best for u .

I two hd5's and three 3x10 conquests.they either have z-800's or z-600's.Got mine from cameraland in the demo column.Great scopes,can't go wrong here.

Attachments

• DSCN0159.jpg
    DSCN0159.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 153
That is too funny that is where I got the last three also and they are demos. I have one in the 600 yard but I am a z plex old school guy. I have my guys set for a point blank range @ 300 yards. good luck hunting and straight shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts