Best youth experience

MNwalleyehunter

Can anyone provide me with some direction on the best youth hunting experience out west? We aren't looking to kill a 450 inch bull, just a good cow hunt for a 13 year old. We are from MN, he's never been out west and I've never harvested an elk. So I don't want to say we are looking for something "easy", but we aren't experienced enough for a full backpack in/out excursion yet.

Any experts? If you don't want to post publicly, feel free to DM me.

Thank you!

I'll be watching this one. My son is 17 and I want to do something similar. The guys here have been great to give me good links/advice. I will talk to some guides at the Eastern Sportsman's show.

I know many will disagree with what Im about to say, but Id definitely suggest going with a guide. There are some really affordable cow elk hunts out there. The reason I say to go with a guide, at 13 I'm sure your son will be much happier if he harvests an elk. I get it that its hunting but it can really be a drag on a younger kid to put in all the hard hours of hunting to either not see anything or have the opportunity at one. Guided isnt a slam dunk nor guaranteed, but they know the area and will likely have you on the elk. Some private land guides are looking for cows to be removed from the herd to manage numbers so they are going to do just about whatever it takes to get you on elk. Last I looked at elk hunts, it seemed like you could do a 3 day cow hunt around $1500-2000. That might have changed since its been awhile but I dont think thats all that bad to have a very good chance at getting an elk.

You know the saying, opinions are like @$$.....everyone has one and that's mine

Last edited:
Late season hunts, in Colorado check out their youth tags and how they work. Northern units used to be exceptionally good but with last year's winter kill (bad) and introduction of wolf, I don't know if the wolves could have too much of an effect on the herds as they were just reintroduced, but I'm no expert, they would be your best bet

Try to find some landowner cow tags. As above most states have a youth tag and they are usually cows or any elk. Landowner cows are a depredation tag and the animals are in the ranchers/farmers fields damaging crops. Normally don't have to hunt too hard for the animals.

I know many will disagree with what Im about to say, but Id definitely suggest going with a guide. There are some really affordable cow elk hunts out there. The reason I say to go with a guide, at 13 I'm sure your son will be much happier if he harvests an elk. I get it that its hunting but it can really be a drag on a younger kid to put in all the hard hours of hunting to either not see anything or have the opportunity at one. Guided isnt a slam dunk nor guaranteed, but they know the area and will likely have you on the elk. Some private land guides are looking for cows to be removed from the herd to manage numbers so they are going to do just about whatever it takes to get you on elk. Last I looked at elk hunts, it seemed like you could do a 3 day cow hunt around $1500-2000. That might have changed since its been awhile but I dont think thats all that bad to have a very good chance at getting an elk.

You know the saying, opinions are like @$$.....everyone has one and that's mine

I appreciate your opinion. A guided hunt isn't out of the question. Honestly, a perfect( if there is such a thing) would be a guided cow hunt with camping.

Keith Williams with Arizona Pro Elk Hunts, 928 242 0105. Keith guides in Arizona and New Mexico with the NM cow hunts being three day hunts. They are very affordable and then get very affordable towards the end of the season when there are left over tags or cancellations.

I have been hunting with him for many years and never had a bad hunt or have been disappointed. Good luck on your quest.

I'd look into a Colorado RFW guided hunt. The landowner tags are purchased by the outfitters. Sometimes you can combine a antelope hunt which is fun and not too physically demanding.
Be warned that once you get done with your hunt you will be planning the next one.
Have fun and good luck!

I'd look into a Colorado RFW guided hunt. The landowner tags are purchased by the outfitters. Sometimes you can combine a antelope hunt which is fun and not too physically demanding.
Be warned that once you get done with your hunt you will be planning the next one.
Have fun and good luck!
That is ultimately the desired outcome, is for him to want me to plan the next one!

When I read the title of your thread my first thought was a Pronghorn hunt would be good intro for a youth. But reading your post about elk; then yes I'd agree that paying for an outfitter would be a better experience for all and a good introduction. Heck, I'd recommend using an outfitter for Pronghorn too; for a pleasant family friendly hunt.

When I read the title of your thread my first thought was a Pronghorn hunt would be good intro for a youth. But reading your post about elk; then yes I'd agree that paying for an outfitter would be a better experience for all and a good introduction. Heck, I'd recommend using an outfitter for Pronghorn too; for a pleasant family friendly hunt.
I'm not opposed to a Pronghorn hunt, I myself have not harvested one of those either. I just want to make sure my boy has the opportunity to hunt "out west". The game isn't as important as just being out there with him

Winning attitude right there. Being with a youngster is fun.
Thank you. Just going out west is the adventure, having the chance to harvest an animal is a plus, and harvesting would be an absolute bonus.
Without any real knowledge of anything western states, it's tough to scout from a computer for good opportunities.

Thank you. Just going out west is the adventure, having the chance to harvest an animal is a plus, and harvesting would be an absolute bonus.
Without any real knowledge of anything western states, it's tough to scout from a computer for good opportunities.
Do you have any outdoor shows in your area you can go to? I know there is one in PA that a lot of vendors and guides go to which is very helpful to get in front of them and start asking questions. If you land on a state/game that requires a draw, you probably are to late in the game for next year since I think most you already had to apply for. However the sooner you start looking, researching and asking questions to guides and people here the better.

Prior to just jumping into say a show or whatever, Id narrow things down a bit...a species or two and a preferred state or two. Do as much research on your own first to get some general ideas. That way you get a lot of the confusion out of the way so you can have more educated discussions with guides or you get so confused that you need to assistance of someone else but you have all the questions you need answered going into it. Its ok to totally go into it blind, but in my experience its always better to have a little bit of an education or at the very least a pretty firm idea of what you want to do so you can narrow your search down a good bit.