Best rest when developing a load?

Sully2

A bill will stick approx. in the front 1/3 of the forearm. I plan on opening it up to where a standard business card will clear.

Dallas

Sully2

A bill will stick approx. in the front 1/3 of the forearm. I plan on opening it up to where a standard business card will clear.

Dallas

Yepper...I understand. My next door neighbor ( old high school buddy) is a wood carver so Im going to get the right..??...chisel?? ( the tool that has all those cutting ribs on it) and if/when I need one opened up...turn it over to him.....:D

????..Mine passes a dollar bill under it from the tip of the forearm all the way back to the receiver. My VLS 243 does have a spot where a bill will stick...but its midway down the forearm..( which I plan on opening up)
Have you bedded it yet?

I've found an easy way to combine the flloating and bedding is to use a couple of thicknesses of duct tape under the lug and under the rear tang when you bed it usually takes care of the free float at the same time.

Once it's done I'll then just remove the duct tape and use a little more epoxy on those two points and do it again.

It adds about fifteen minutes of work to the bedding process and eliminates the sanding.

Last edited:
Haven't done anything to mine yet. Was toying with the idea of having it re-barreled so I can shoot a heavier bullet and maybe touch a few yotes a little further out. If I do that I will take care of bedding and free floating at the same time. Don't think that I will put a new stock on it though, I kinda like the way this one fits. Though a McSwirly HTG adjustable would be nice.gun)

Hey fellas, Worked on a 25-06 load this weekend using berger bullets and going from 51 gr to 54 gr of H4831 powder one grain at a time. they all shot less than 1 moa with most in the .3 to .6 moa area. that evening I made up 6 loads of 54gr and 6 loads of 51gr to test agin as the 51 gr shot best that morning and I just wanted to see if I could duplicate. However That evening all 4 groups( both 51 and 54 gr) were outside of 1 moa. (1 to 1.2 moa) The only diffrence is that in the morning I was using a swivel type rifle rest and in the evening I used a bipod because it was steadier. All shots were taken at rifle range with no wind and off wooden shooting tables. All I guess is that the recoil of the rifle on the bipod on wooden table is what did it. Is this common and what kind of rest do yal recommend? Thank's, Brad

That was a good question Brad and worth a simple answer.

First= The reason that I use a one piece rest for load development is that the distance between
the front support and the rear support is allways the same. (Repeatable).

After working up the best load possible, I then try the rest/system (Bipod,sand bag, rolled up coat,
tree limb, window ledge Etc) that will be used most of the time to find the effect it has on accuracy
and point of impact. The location of the/any rest has an effect on both and tels you if there is a
problem that needs to be addressed.

An example would be to place a sand bag under the tip of the forearm and shoot three shots
then move the bag back 2 or three inches and shoot three more.(Even though the barrel is floated
properly) it will/probably move the point of impact and change the group size. the reasons are
numerous and with some experimentation you will find the best place to apply the field support
what ever it is.

If the bipod is mounted on a very stiff /large stock with .030 to .050 thousandths of clearance
between the stock and the barrel it may not have that much effect but you need to know if it
has any.

So what i am saying is every one is right but just don't agree on how to get there. so my
method is the same as many others use but some leave out a step or two in the process.

Summary:
Test the rifle with a good consistant rest to find the potential of the rifle, Then test it with your
preferred type of rest to fine tune it this way (Your still testing it under the best conditions)
then when you go to the field you know your rifles strengths and weakness and will have the
confidence that if you have honed your skills,it will shoot well as long as you do your part.
Remember , There are no shortcuts to accuracy and consistency.

Sorry; I did not keep it simple.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

J E CUSTOM

Well, went back to the range with more 51gr and 54 gr loads and shot off bags. very happy as Find this and bipods steader for me than lead sleds and such and also more real to how I'll be shooting in the field. They also produced much as I would expect with the higher velocitiy 54gr loads producing .2 moa and 51gr producing .6 moa I'll keep working and playing with seating depth( as bergers are into the lands now) but, believe this will be hard to improve on. I'll move out to 200 or 300 yds and improve from there. I'll have to wait till my G7 scope comes in first because now I'm using my old simmons pro50 which is a great hunting scope but with it's 10 power not detailed enough at distance on targets to give me an accurate measurment to make corrections to loads. Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.