Load Development Done, my best 300 yard group ever!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Troutslayer2, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Troutslayer2

Troutslayer2 Well-Known Member

After about 120 rounds and many screw ups I finally struck pay-dirt this morning. 57.5 grains was the hottest charge that I had to try, and 57 grains didn't group worth a crap. I didn't have any confidence in only 1/2 more grain charge, and I had a three of them and I let them fly without even confirming where they were hitting. Looked through the spotter and said "no way". Walked downrange to pick up my best 300 yard group ever. I am so happy for what I have learned to get to this point, all of the time and money spent is finally starting to pay off. Thanks to everyone here who has helped by answering my sometimes ridiculous questions, I wouldn't be here without you.
    [​IMG]
    .280 Ackley Improved
    57.5 RL 22
    Berger VLD 168
    .010 Jump to lands
    300 YARD 3 Shot Group!

2. ultra707

ultra707 Active Member

Wow! Congratulations that’s a great group! Now it's time to load some more up and do it again just to make sure...

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Great to see it starting to come together for ya!!gun)

4. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Nice. Where was your aim point? What is your zero distance?

5. Troutslayer2

Troutslayer2 Well-Known Member

I was zeroed for another load so it didn't really matter. I didn't expect POI to be anywhere near where it was with my other load, just looking for consistency this time around.

6. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

That load is worthless, you missed the dime, and the center of the target! :D Nah, I'm jealous with that one. Keep it up and make us all look bad. Good job!

Tank

7. Oliveralan

Oliveralan Well-Known Member

Excellent! I shot a very similar group at 200 last weekend, es of 12 over 6shots. However for group size I think you got me!

8. Rhino Hunter

Rhino Hunter Well-Known Member

LOL!

Great Group!!!

RH

9. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

to be honest i'm pretty happy with a group like that at a 100 yards. i did shoot a great group at 950 once. it's hanging on my loading bench. you realize you have to try that load at least once again to make sure it's working and not a fluke. absolutely great shooting!

10. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Ditching the spotting scope and just getting down and shooting will automatically cut your groups in half gun):D

11. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Awesome man! Looks like a keeper. (Don't try it again right away, gloat over it awhile)

12. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

WELL DONE. Glad you didn't "blow your head off" - just as you promised on a PM to me. That is the exact same load that my son is using as we discussed. Now - before you run out of that lot of RL22 and Bergers see if you can borrow a chrony and get some data for the future. And don't forget my comments about different lots of RL22. I'm very happy for you - WELL DONE.

13. tracker12ga

tracker12ga Well-Known Member

PRICELESS!!!!

+1 on that, lol.

Seriously, that fine shooting!! Definately something for the refrigerator door.

14. BIG MO

BIG MO Well-Known Member

Beauty! Gotta love RL22 and Bergers!