best powders for 375Rum 270AM 300wsm

bigrich954rr

placing a big powder order unsure on these though?
R22 for 300wsm
270AM bmg50 or us 869
375 has a 28 barrel so where to start thinking Hodgdon H4831

They all look good for each caliber. I would try Vhitivoria N550 for the 300-WSM. I know it's a little harder on barrel life, however, you will get about 150fps more with this powder without any pressure problems. I've heard it is working really well in the 300-WSM. Anyhow, I thought I would put my 2 cents in. Good luck.

Wildcat

You will get good loads with all three cartridges and these powders.

I would not recommend H-50BMG in the 270 AM. Chance of powder bridging with this very large powder. With the sub 140 gr pills you can use Retumbo and get great results. For the 169.5 gr and heavier pills, I actually prefer WC872 to US869. less then half the price as well!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi i would use H4831SC for the 300 WSM and the 375 Ultra it makes more sense to use one powder that works very well in both. For projectiles up to 210gr it is fine and the powder is a lot more stable than RE22 in extreme conditions.

As for the 270 AM listen to Kirby

Cheers Bill
Australia

Its more consistant from lot to lot right now and from what I see and from my customer reports, US869 can be as quick burning as Retumbo and a slow as AA8700. Pretty wide range.

This is not uncommon with a new powder, Retumbo was the same way for the first several lots and then seemed to even out.

I order all my WC872 from Jeff Bartlett at www.gibrass.com

Its fresh powder, never loaded or pulled and you just know what your getting with Jeff. $40 per 8 lb keg is pretty cheap.

Yes it burns a bit dirty but if you run up to upper pressures its no worse then any other ball powder. It is also a bit more sensitive to temp changes but for big game hunting this is really not a huge issue unless you load to red line pressures which I do not like anyway.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.