BEST 300wsm brass for LR?

Daves762

First custom is being built (after parts arrive) and Im collecting components to begin loading for it.

Whats the best brass for LR reloading? Has anyone used the Federal 300wsm before?

Am I better off buying 100 remingtons and weight sorting them or just cough up the $ for lapua or nosler custom or other top dollar brass???

I have had bad experience with Win brass in 270 wsm so I know Im not using that......

Also I plan to use the Redding dies with the VLD micrometer bullet seater. Any opinions on that?

Its my first custom rifle and don't want to half-butt anything important on the ammo.......

Thanks.

D

Well thats good news as Win. brass is all I could find rite now.

The 270 WSM brass is crap. whoever set up the machine to neck it down from 300wsm to 270 must have rode the short bus to work.....or been run over by it.....

270 wsm win brass had folds in the necks, cracked after one firing, sometimes on the very first sizing out of the bag.

I have a 30% split rate after 3 firings and i'm not pushing max loads and anneal after every 2 firings.

Maybe I got a bad batch, but I've read alot of negative reviews as well.

If you guys say the Win 300wsm brass is good then I'll try it out.

I use Winchester for 308, 30-06, 223 with no complaints....

Thanks.

Well it's tied to a couple things.
Reloading brass is different than factory loaded brass(which is often disposable).
Huge neck clearances and sizing amount can cause splitting with any brass.

Factory 270WSM ammo has already combined both, and you would find the same in other brands. But Win reloading brass(bought in bags) 'should' be fine and it could be annealed before first sizing/firing.
But like you said, it is possible that there was a bad batch put out.

If I found that, and my neck clearances were rational, I'd send splitting brass back to Winchester. Afterall, it is 'reloading brass' ..

So who uses the high end stuff and what can i expect from that?

I've tried them all, and I always come back to Norma. It's just more consistent lot to lot. It's the closest thing to "ready to load" that I've found for the 300 WSM.

I am reloading for three 300 WSM's and my 270 WSM and while doing it I have used many different brands of brass. In my experience the most uniform and consistent brass for the WSM calibers is Norma! I have some that I have shot more than 10 times and I have yet to have a split neck or a loose primer pocket. As stated I have loaded Winchester, RP, and Federal as well as Norma. So I agree with brentc.

I would have to agree norma is the most consistant. I have used both federal and winchester. For me and the loads I shoot I get pressure sigins out of the federals and no pressure signs out of the winchesters and normas.

recently I have noticed that the winschest brass is not as consistant as it was six months ago. Whne weighting the brass i found as high as a 20 gr differance beteen rounds. The necks are much thicker. so when seating the bullet you have to thin the neck so not to crush the shoulder. I love winchester brass, I just dont's know what has changed

I have never had a problem norma brass.

How about the Nosler 300WSM brass. Has anyone tried it? I spoke to a good 1000yd shooter who thinks the Norma brass is a bit softer than Win, how about the Nosler custom brass?

I have owned two .300 WSM's since cartridge came out. Agree on Norma brass, it is most consistent and most accurate in both of my WSM's. Win. brass was okay, but not as accurate with same loads.

Well it's tied to a couple things.
Reloading brass is different than factory loaded brass(which is often disposable).
Huge neck clearances and sizing amount can cause splitting with any brass.

Factory 270WSM ammo has already combined both, and you would find the same in other brands. But Win reloading brass(bought in bags) 'should' be fine and it could be annealed before first sizing/firing.
But like you said, it is possible that there was a bad batch put out.

If I found that, and my neck clearances were rational, I'd send splitting brass back to Winchester. Afterall, it is 'reloading brass' ..

Mikecr

Where did you get the idea that Winchester (or anyone else)has two different quality lines of Brass?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.