300wsm powders

lcq

Hey All,

I have a Tikka T3 stainless in 300WSM and want to load 165 Hornady SST. The 2 powders I have are Varget and IMR-4350. I like the idea of Varget because of the temperature stability but the Hornady people don't recommend it, even though it is listed in numerous reloading manuals.

Your advice on this is much appreciated.

Brian

Hello and welcome to LRH.com!

I have the same rifle ... good choice! I primarily shoot the 180 gr AB's in mine and I like H4350 for mine. If memory serves, I use varget for 110 gr vmax's out of it. IMR and H are very close to eachother and the H is much more temp stable than IMR. Reloader 17 would be another option, it is also very close to the IMR and H 4350. Standard LRprimers is all you need in the wsm.

In my order of profference....

RL 17
H4350
H4831sc

However, I'm not sure about RL 17's temp sensitivity yet... that would be a big consideration for me. It does give very good velocity.

Varget is not the best powder for the 300 WSM

Welcome and good shooting,

-MR

Thanks for the help, I'll start with the IMR. BTW what load are you using for the 110gr Vmax.

Brian

So far I've shot RL-19, Varget, and H4381sc through my plain jane Weatherby Vanguard with 150 gr Hornady SST. All three were acceptably accurate for 200yard shooting but Varget won hands down in accuracy. I got MOA accuracy with Varget. I haven't done anything to 'accurize' my weatherby either.

I'm loading 65.0grs of IMR-4350 and 69.0grs of Reloader-22 using 165gr bullets in my 300WSM.I get good groups,around 1/2"-3/4",I give a slight edge to Reloader-22.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.