Best Neck Turning Tool

It appears I may have to dive into neck turning quicker than I had here to planned and have been researching turner systems....

Still not sure which makes most sense but K&M just came out with an expanded sized holder for their micro turner.

I still like the round holder mentioned in the thread done by Joel Pendergraft.

Should someone want to contact Joel Pendergraft, i saw his contact info somewhere in my surfing, so for ease of those reading this thread it is: joelpend@bellsouth (add .net) or at least it was at some point:)

The one major thing the K&M does over the Sinclair is it also removes the doughnut. It also makes fine adjustments very well. Is it the last word? I doubt it. Can the Sinclair neck tools work well? Yes they can with some rework (by the way I like the older ones best).
gary

Doughnuts have been headed off for decades, by turning into the shoulder and fireforming. So reaming is a solution to a problem already taken care of with any normal turn.

Also, turning is not to reduce eccentricity, but to produce a set thickness. For this operation you absolutely cannot bind brass, but float it around a proper fitted mandrel.
Again, fireforming finishes this brass prep(completes the action for desired result).

Aldon, you won't find a 'better' turning SYSTEM than Sinclair offers in NT-4xxx
Sinclair Search : Reloading Equipment : Case Preparation : Neck Turning : Neck Turning Tools -
Their mandrel system would also apply to reduce the runout problems you've encountered, even without turning.

I read a post that mentioned that the Mandrel Die by K&M would not fit the Co-Ax as well.

I am about ready to pull the trigger on the Sinclair but alas.....they seem to have a market with no stock to sell:)

So does the K&M Mandrel Die fit the Forster Co-Ax?

I like the round add on holder that is available from Joel to hold the turner.....

I like the idea of the Turning Mandrel also having the reamer.

And they appear to be available.

So I would pull the trigger tonight on the K&M if the Mandrel dies will work on Co-Ax press.

I don't currently own a Forster Co-Ax, used to but sold it. I see no reason why the mandrel die won't work on a Co-Ax. It takes a die ring just like any other die and can be adjusted for height just like any other die. I use mine on a Lee Classic Cast or Redding Ultramag.

So does the K&M Mandrel Die fit the Forster Co-Ax?​

I like the round add on holder that is available from Joel to hold the turner.....​

I like the idea of the Turning Mandrel also having the reamer.​

And they appear to be available.​

So I would pull the trigger tonight on the K&M if the Mandrel dies will work on Co-Ax press.​

I'm assuming your refering to the expander die that Sinclair sells. I don't own one, but have built a dozen or so over the years for buddies of mine. All you need is a piece of 7/8th's fine thread allthread (use the gold grade eight stuff). Bore it to fit whatever mandrel you want, and then counter bore it for clearence on the neck. You'll also need a 10-32 set screw hole in the side. Most of the ones I built used the standard locators you can buy out of a catalog, and were polished to the correct size needed. But on the otherhand you can buy over sized expanders from Forster, and do the samething in their dies.
gary

Trigger pulled on K&M.

Will get set of Mandrels from Sinclair or Forster for general sizing duties.

I ordered the K&M mandrels to dedicate to the Neck Turning setup.

I use the carbide cutter mandrels too. A bit pricey but it's a one time investment that pays dividends every time you use it.

I should add they are very useful if you are re-forming cases from something to something else (example 221 Fireball from 223 Remington) otherwise a standard mandrel will work just fine.

I got the Carbide cutters in the calibers I shoot the most and the standard type for the others that I will likely not shoot enough to warrant worry over doughnut.

I posted on another thread by mistake, feedback on K&M.

I received shipment within 2 days of order.

Good customer service and responsiveness.

As a follow up as to compatibility of the K&M turning system and the Co-ax, having received it and done the initial set up I believe the only reason one might not find it compatible is that the Expanding Arbor on K&M comes with a long screw to act as a stop so that the brass is not driven too far onto mandrel and destroyed. The screw bumps the inside base to feedback to stop the lever.

I have no problem with expanding the necks without the stop and visually determining the appropriate movement for press.

All in all having turned some brass for practice, I really like the set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.