Best misses

I have two..

1. After three days of watching a 320 bull, I climbed the mountain opening morning and was 300 yards exactly from him. 300 was my zero and the day before I shot a 1/2" group. I got on target and squeezed the trigger. He lifted his head and looked around like nothing had happened. Long story short, I killed him later that day. The problem was a loose screw on the rear of my scope mount.

2. Had a 24-26" 4x4 black tail buck at 80 yards. His head was under a branch and he was not moving. I pulled up and shot and missed completely. Biggest black tail buck I have ever had the opportunity to kill. We saw the same buck from 1000 yards away a few times that year and the next. But no one ever got him. My gun was slightly off, but not enough to miss like I did.

My son & I were hunting antelope in WY last year. Saw a buck at 300 yards. Although I knew that it was 300 yards, I gave him the elevation for 400 yards. He was shooting a 180 gr. SST out of a 308 and the difference in drop between 300 to 400 is 20". The Buck was front quatering and he was aiming at the lower part of the breast plate. Sure enough the bullet hit 20 high & struck the buck just under the eye. Never saw an animal go down that hard.

My first year elk hunting (I was 14) we were driving back to camp on the last day when we saw a herd of elk about 200 yards off in the clear cut. We jumped out of the truck and lay out on the road waiting for a shot, I had a bull step out and was going to pull the trigger when my buddy let one loose from his 405 winchester about 10' behind me scaring the poop out of me. I jumped so bad I probably shot 20' over my bull.

Couple years later, I was walking back to my car after an unsuccessful bear hunt and was reaching back to unload my gun. As I reached back to grab the gun caught the trigger. Let's just say a braked 300wsm going off while slung is not fun for the ears. I found out on a later hunt that my safety was rubbing on part of my pack and getting bumped off.

This wasn't a miss but I thought it was. My first time duck hunting and the day had been full of un-successful skyblasting, this was when you could hunt most of Moses lake here in Wa. My cousin and I were in a blind just about at dark and had some spoonbills cupping, so we were ready to fire away gangbanger style and we did, of course nothing fell but it was fun. Then one of the hens that was in mach 2 straight away fell about 4 seconds after my last shot.. On autopsy 1 #2 bb made it into her chest, if I woulnt have been 12 I would have bought a lotto ticket.

Got drawn for WY back in 2000. Drop camp for a week a top a mountain at 10,000 feet. Trusty 338 at my side. Weather was awesome for vacation but terrible for mule deer hunting. 3rd day of the hunt I see the biggest deer I've ever seen at that point in my hunting career. A beautiful non typical that scored in the 180+ range. Slide the cross hairs onto his chest at a 100 yds and ease the trigger into the go position. To my disbelief he runs off. Find out later that my rifle was shooting a foot right at 100. Must have bang it pretty good on the 5 hr pack trip in. Only deer I have ever missed and unfortunately one of the biggest. Still crying the blues 15 years later.

So, a couple of years ago, my buddy and I were driving up an old two track scouting for deer and it was also grouse season. Low and behold, here was a grouse just sitting on the road bank and my buddy says, "hey, you got a gun?" I always carry a couple of pistols with me or on me and I say, "here, try this." Well, it is a north American arms .22 mag pistol which if you haven't seen them, they are super small about the size of a derringer. They are a revolver and hold 5 shots.
So, he uses the door frame of my ford for a rest as he kind of is shooting across the hood and he starts shooting. He asks me where he is hitting and I tell him that I don't see a thing. Now, this grouse is like 10 yards away and he shoots all 5 shots and finally the thing just walks away.
So, he climbs back in the truck and about 20 minutes later, I start laughing and he says, "what's so funny?" I looked at him and said, "I think you were shooting low."
He looks at me while I am pointing at my bug guard on the front of my hood. I say, "nice group."

Randy

Attachments

• DSCN0501.JPG
    DSCN0501.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN0502.JPG
    DSCN0502.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0503.JPG
    DSCN0503.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 89
I have a similar story. We were spotlighting rabbits one summer with only the two of us. We couldn't find a third person so the driving/spotlight duty was mine while my buddy in the passenger seat was shooting. One rabbit on the drivers side of the truck was just sitting, like a rabbit on a spotlight. First shot was a miss, high, but close enough to get the bunny running. He took a very direct route straight at us. As berserker bunny was comin' right for us, I lost track of where the bullets were missing. As my buddy is sitting out the passenger window, shooting across the top of the truck, and the rabbit is dangerously close he could attack at any time. I here thunk! thunk,thunk! then a whoops. He skipped 3 .22lr bullets right across the top of the truck. No holes, but a few 1-1.5" dents with little creases in the middle. We were just lucky the rabbit decided to let us live.

Hahaha. That's awesome.

+1, that is awesome. I'd leave it to remind him.

I used to keep a scraggly 15" spread 4 point rack hanging on a plaque as a reminder to my best friend, it was one of the first things you seen when you walk in my front door. He would always get mad when he walked in and say "You need to take that ******* thing down! It disappear one day several years back. It's kind of a miss story so I'll tell it, maybe somebody will get a chuckle from it.

His family has a little land in southern Arkansas that they use for a small deer camp. This whole area is crawling with deer, not uncommon to see 30 deer a day. There are very few bucks and they rarely make it past 1.5 years old. Their place is only 100 acres of really thick pine but has lots of land surrounding it that is mostly paper company leased deer camps. Earlier that spring a good section of the place had been clear cut and the weeds had grown to about chest high, it was thick. There is a smallish ridge that runs East-West not quite through the middle of the place. He set a 15' tripod up on the ridge and could see down into the grass and along a firebreak that runs E-W as well, a pretty good vantage point. Now keep in mind my buddy is not what anyone would call a good shooter, he needs to be close. However, he hunts with a 7mag that I load and sight in.
Opening morning not long after daybreak, I hear a single shot from his location a few hundred yards behind me. If my buddy fires one shot it's usually a good indicator that he connected, if not he will empty that bolt action and make it sound like a semi-auto. He will lay down enough suppressive fire for the deer to escape and evade!
Today, one shot...good he got one. A few minutes later a decent racked head pops out about 200 yards down the firebreak I was watching and so I dropped him immediately with my .300 WinMag. This deer had come from a direction like it had just passed my buddy's stand. I jump down, walk over to my deer, make sure it's dead and walk around to where my buddy is to see what he got. He and his dad was looking up and down the old firebreak for blood. He was really excited and when I asked what he got he said "It's the biggest **** deer I've ever seen, it must have been a big 10 point or something!" The shot was about 200 yards, a long stretch for him, and the deer at the shot supposedly just stiffened up and fell over. But there was no deer to be found, and after about 15 minutes of looking his dad spotted two tiny drops of blood that headed right towards his stand in the tall weeds. He had made the comment "You sure you didn't shoot my deer?" and my response was "No, I shot some scraggly 4 point. Not a big 10 point." After about an hour of the three of us not finding any more signs of a hit his dad told us to go get my deer to camp and he would keep looking. So we walk over to mine and he picks the head up, looks up at me and says "You did shoot my deer!". It had a small round hole through the ear and a chunk taken off the lower part of one antler. He had shot it through the ear (that's where the tiny drops of blood came from) and must have knocked it out! Then he probably jumped down and hurried over to his kill. In the meantime the buck must have got back up and the two unknowingly passed right by each other in the grass. Only for the deer to meet his demise a few hundred yards later and my buddy getting the ragging of his life!
So my response to his "You need to take that ******* thing down" was "But that's the biggest **** deer you've ever seen!".
What are friends for?!:D

I had been doing an awful lot of load development and shooting for my new 300WSM all year long and was very confident that I would shoot the biggest deer of the season. This was not something that I would keep to myself. I made sure that everyone of my family members (who I worked construction with on a daily basis) knew I was the best shot by keeping some sub 1/2 MOA groups taped to the dashboard of my pickup at the time (I was 21. Don't judge me). When the rut starts to kick in around Central Idaho, no work actuall gets done and it's just expected of you to hunt before and after work. I got off early one day and had permission to hunt a great spot that I hadn't explored before. I threw my rifle over my shoulder and set off rapidly to get to the edge of a big canyon. Three steps out of the pickup, I jumped 3 shooter bucks but was too preoccupied with getting to the canyon to be ready for a shot. They left, I slowed down and stalked to shooting distance of several bucks that I could've easily taken, but turned down. Then I spotted a 150+ whitetail at 200 yds just feeding on an apple tree. I crept up, knelt down and touched the rifle off. The deer's head dropped and I thought he was hit and just didn't know he was dead, so I waited. He kept feeding. I krept a little closer and fired again. He casually meandered around the corner out of sight. Long story short it was a miss by a mile. My cousin had twisted the elevation adjustment on my scope until it stopped. By the time he came clean on the dastardly deed, I had sold the rifle and never shot it again. lightbulb

...My cousin had twisted the elevation adjustment on my scope until it stopped. By the time he came clean on the dastardly deed, I had sold the rifle and never shot it again. lightbulb

Holy smokes Moody you musta been one cocky kid to warrant a trick such as that! Don't know what to say... "You deserved it" or "That was way below the belt" ... :D Heck of a good story though! Down right dirty deed, even if you was a bit big-headed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts