Long range misses

... and not proving the rifle set up before you need to use it. Personally, I would say that accounts for probably 50% of the missed out there for long range hunting, ...

I'm pretty careful about this yet this has caused me two flubs in the past 4 years. Both times the rifle was bumped enough to move the POI. I like to shoot the rifle just prior to entering the field to confirm POI. In spite of this I still got bit in the butt. Can't do enough to protect the rifle/scope setup from bumps and jars after the last confirmation shooting.

Yah right.:) If what you've been doing is getting closer, I'd hate to see the deer when you finally get it right.

Seems to me like I remember a few threads/posts about you and that old worn out 7mm AM thumping a few deer in the last couple of years.:)

Well Dick, everybody gets lucky now and then, Having an old 7mm AM don't hurt either.
RR

Seems like an entertaining question. I'll offer a few of mine. Seems like I've missed for about every concievable reason. Educational, frustrating, embarrasing, and humorous...

First one comes to mind was a buck at 1269 yards. I shot two MOA over his back. It simply didn't dawn on me the wind blowing up that twenty + degree slope for 2/3 of a mile would lift the bullet. Call it a brain failure.

I've missed because I didn't dial for the range at all.
I've missed because I dialed my windage the wrong direction.

I have believed the first range my rangefinder gave.

I've used the wrong drop data.

I've forgotten to rezero after a long shot, I've lost my place and been off a revolution.

I have pulled a shot or two. What can you say at the time? That one broke a minute right. Doh!

I put a 243 shell in a 270. Shockingly, I didn't hit the 900 yard target.

Misread the wind.... three thousand times.

Used the wrong hold over.

I've used my reticle for holdover on the wrong power.

Does it count as a miss if you forget to take the safety off?

How about if you hit the trigger with a gloved finger and fire a round before you're even on target?

Truth is, very few of these happened in hunting situations. But, they've all happened. For the most part, things come together when it counts.

I think it all has to do with Murphys Law (If it can happen, it will happen)

I spent quite a lot of time with him when I was bow hunting and now that Murphy
has taken up long range hunting he's a busy man.

J E CUSTOM

I can't believe I'm going to admit this...
We pulled up on an old log landing right at daylight. Two feeding buck less than a hundred yards away. Took a couple of shot and before I could get the cork back in the bottle, the bucks fed out of sight.

I shoot a 6 point whitetail buck in the Andes mountains at 350 yards, first shoot completely missed him, then I wondered what went wrong (buck fever!!!), then shot the second time and killed him right there, and when he fell a 10 pointer I have not seen before stood up, and runned straight to me!!! I mean right to me, and when he was like 10 yards away, I stopped him with a mouth made noise, and when I pulled the trigger nothing happened????????????
I forgot to reload after I saw the little buck down!!! So the big boy in two seconds runned out of sight!!!
Thats is just one of the stories.
I guess it happens to all of us!!!:D:D:D

This past winter I went coyote hunting and I called a couple in. I shot the first one(also my first coyote) but was so excited when I cycled my bolt I didn't pull it back far enough to eject and load(I just pushed the empty back in the chamber). Needless to say there was a click and no bang on the second one. It got away unscathed.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts