Best LRH backpack??

wbyfireman

I am looking to purchase a new hunting backpack for my LRH trips; and I have the attitude "buy once cry once". I can haul plenty of weight due to my frame and quality conditioning so large packs are what I want. I currently own a badlands 2200 however want to upgrade. Im looking at either the badlands ox, Eberlestock dragonfly, or the outdoorsman optics pack. I haul a 85mm spotting scope, tons of water, (due to hunting in arizona), food, 15X56 binos, and a full size tripod at a minimum. Any advice or tother options would help out alot THX

I like the eberlestock a lot. Have used them for the last 7 years or so. I have an extra dragonfly if your interested pm me.

I have been using the J107 from Eberlestock for a couple years now. The scabbard is fantastic. Rifle is secure and out of the way, close to the spine (so is the water) for good center of gravity, the harness is great, the pack expands to ridiculous size if needed... I have no downside to report.

I have been using the J107 from Eberlestock for a couple years now. The scabbard is fantastic. Rifle is secure and out of the way, close to the spine (so is the water) for good center of gravity, the harness is great, the pack expands to ridiculous size if needed... I have no downside to report.

My rifle is fairly large with a 56mm nightforce and a bipod on it. Can the rifle securely fit int he scabbard and deploy easy??
Also this will be used for hauling meat as well as gear (hopefully) :)

Been through the Eberlestock and Badlands treatment and won't go back. Owned and used them for màny years.

To buy once and cry once I'd take a look at either a Stone Glácier or Mystery Ranch pack. From personal experience they are far superior IMO. I do not have any personal experience with the Kifaru pack but a lot of hardcore guys swear by them.

I am currently using a Mystery Ranch "longbow" so if you have any specific questions please feel free to holler.

Kifaru duplex frame with your choice of bags. The definition of buy once cry once. These are the best packs on the market hands down but $700-$800 is tough to stomach. However once I added up the money I spent on sub par packs (badlands, eberlestock, tenzing) I could have bought one with $ to spare.

Kifaru duplex or bikini frame with the nomad pack and gunbearer with the camp bag and you will be set. Kifaru packs are worth every penny. Be sure to get the grap it, large belt pouch and sleeve for your water bladder if you order the nomad.

You can get larger scabbards in the eberlestock's for your rifle. I was able to fit a rifle with the same scope into a regular size one but the larger version would of been nice. Having said that I sold mine and won't be getting another. I found that it just didn't have enough adjustment to fit me in the length of my torso. They do expand but when you do that they expand backwards from your body. Not at all ideal to put heavier loads further away from your body. I did have and older dragonfly version for which the larger shoulder harness was not available so you may find a newer one to fit you better. I think they would be fine for packing your lr rifle around with the gear to get out and do some shooting but they are not nearly big enough for a real backpack trip for a week or more sheep hunting with all your gear and hopefully packing out your game at the end.

I use mystery ranch now and I don't see any reason to change to something else. I put the butt of my rifle in the side pocket and strap the forend into the side with the compression straps when I'm not in bear country. It's not as quick to get at as the ebrlestock like this but you could add the quick release from stone glacier in place if the side compression strap to fix that. I'm sure you could also put a butt bucket for a bow on the bottom of it if you wanted to carry it in the centre of the pack.

I've tried almost all the serious hunting packs out there and IMO the MR is the best of them all for a real multi day hunt into the hills.

I found that the scabbard in the ebrlestock works well when loaded lightly for a day hunt but fill it up with gear and pulling your rifle out easily is just not gonna happen.

With that big scope you will have to use the tactical models of eberlestocks. At the top end of the spectrum is the kifaru duplex, which is what I use. I use a nomad bag and have an eberlestock scabbord. I use the regular eberlestock scabbord and I have a manners t2, harris bipod and nightforce 50mm and im cramming it in there so you would definetly the larger scabbord. These heavy lr rifles suck when hanging off the side which is why I went to the scabbord and nomad combo, it puts the weiht right in the middle and against my back. I used this scabbord with a cargo panel last year to pull out a boned out deer with all my stuff and also two elk quarters on another trip. If you can afford it this is the best option. On the other end is the eberlestock dragonfly tactical or military j107m. This has the wider scabbord that you'll need. Weight feels fine until you get over 40lbs thats when you'll notice the difference between this and a kifaru duplex. Id say these are your best two options. You could also put that scabbord on a mystry ranch nice frame but I have no experience with thier stuff so couldnt recommend a bag system to go with it.

The J107 has what is probably Eberlestock's smallest scabbard. I have Ruger M77s, and Savage 111s with Vortex Viper HSLRs, which have an exposed target style elevation turret, and any of these rifles will ride in there with my harris bipod attached, no problem. You have to pay attention putting them into the scabbard, but they all come out fine when needed. You have a choice of running the packs compression straps so that they either do, or do not compress the scabbard, and there is a strap at the top to wrap around the small of the stock for extra security if you are climbing in rough country. Glen's other packs (many styles to choose from) offer larger scabbards, to accommodate virtually anything, up to and including a 50BMG if you have one. Some folks say the packs are too heavy, but so am I... so if I am hauling some extra me up the hill, what's an extra few pounds of pack design, as long as it is good and durable.

Tagging in as I am looking for the same (a great quality versatile hunting pack to have forever). After a lot of searching and reading reviews, I decided to go Kifaru. I have had some issues in getting in contact with them to discuss my questions/needs/etc. If I am going high-end I want to make sure I get the best set-up for my intended use.

I am going to take one more run at them, and I'll let you know if I have a better result. It irks me when I want to buy and can't get someone to sell me on it . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.