Best Stock for LRH

dragman

What is the best stock for long range hunting in everyones opinion?? I have a gun finished and love it it's a 300RUM in an A5 Mcmillan stock. I am thinking about restocking a 300WSM and don't know if I should go A5 like the RUM or if there is something I may like even more.
Living in PA I need to have it perform in temp's from 20 degree's through 90 degree's.

Ever try a chasis? I don't like the thumbhole on the AICS but the AX is awesome, but I like the XLR a bit better. Many Co's makin em now, Eliseo, XLR, JP,Whishey3, AICS, Mcree, Manners mini chasis (My fav) If you choose a chasis, just put a piece of mole skin on the cheek piece, and no stuck cheek.

I sure like the McMillan Lazeroni Thumbhole for a hunting stock. Light, strong, fits into a pack scabbard easily, high cheek weld and just fits my type of hunting with most shots prone. I have this on a 300 win and have shot it to 1800 yards and taken game to close to 1300. Works for me.

Jeff

I'm all for the A5 shape, size and feel and would very seriously consider Broz's recommendation.

The high cheek on the Mc Laz would be the deciding factor with the thumbhole being a major plus also.

You may wish to converse with Joel Russo also. He knows what its all about.

I sure like the McMillan Lazeroni Thumbhole for a hunting stock. Light, strong, fits into a pack scabbard easily, high cheek weld and just fits my type of hunting with most shots prone. I have this on a 300 win and have shot it to 1800 yards and taken game to close to 1300. Works for me.

Jeff

This is what I use on my Warbird and I really like it. The best stock for LRH is the one that fits you best for LRH......

Ok, my short mag is a lawton 7500 with the same action hole spacing as a short action Remington single shot action. It is currently in a Boyd's thumbhole that is pillard and bedded, from a functionality standpoint it is perfectly fine, but I seem to not shoot the stock as consistantly as I would like. the action while the same action spacing is a little fatter around than a Remmy, how hard are these other stocks to fit compared to a wood laminate like the boyds?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.