Best LR Scope under $700?

vitaminado

What scope recommend me to shoot over 600 yards?
I want to hunt
I value clarity and sharpness
also that the mechanical part is strong, clicks,etc.

He had thought of the vortex viper hs 6-24x50

I use Vortex scopes on my LR guns. I prefer the FFP models, but for your price range you'll need to stay with SFP. For the money, you could do a lot worse. My oldest scopes are SFP, they still work fine mechanically. As long as you don't forget what magnification setting you are on the reticles are very useful. I tend to dial elevation and hold wind most of the time, but quick shots can be done using holdover if you've done the homework and the practice.

What scope recommend me to shoot over 600 yards?
I want to hunt
I value clarity and sharpness
also that the mechanical part is strong, clicks,etc.

He had thought of the vortex viper hs 6-24x50

vitaminado

So far I have never seen any Vortex of any price match my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 for "clarity and sharpness." If you spend an hour on Amazon you can find one for less than $700. Both mine are crystal clear throughout the magnification range. When set on 24X I can see 6.5mm bullet holes in cardboard at 410 yards.

vitaminado

I have several Vipers, both HS and PST models. I also have 2 Bushnell 6500s in the 4.5X30. Also a VX6 in 3X18. The Leupold has the best glass though the PST isn't too far behind. The VX6 is out of the price range you mention but the others are close enough.

The HSs are the cheapest and have the worst glass though I find it adequate and bang for the buck wise they are pretty good. The Bushnell glass is better than the HS Vipers though not as good as the PST or VX6. I've got one of the HSs mounted on my 9 pound 375 Ruger. Recoil is quite stout but the scope has had no issues so they should meet your criteria for tough. Actually all of them will take a beating. However, if you want to go long I'd recommend the Bushells. The 4.5X on the low end is good for something up close and the 30X helps aim small to hit small out there at 1,000 yards.

Thank you very much for the answers.

bushnell elite 6500 here in Spain it is much more expensive than in your country.
It costs about 1000 dollars.

you can find some for $ 600 second hand. I read that the bushnell elite, from 20x looks very bad.
this is so?

Thank you very much for the answers.

bushnell elite 6500 here in Spain it is much more expensive than in your country.
It costs about 1000 dollars.

you can find some for $ 600 second hand. I read that the bushnell elite, from 20x looks very bad.
this is so?

The first one I bought was like that. I sent it back and got another which is perfect throughout the magnification range. The second one I bought I compared it with my VX-6 4-24X52. There was no way the VX-6 could keep up with the 6500 in seeing detail since the 6500 goes to 30X. They matched each other in my low light test. I use an optics chart at 127 yards away to compare things for detail and deer antlers in the woods 131 yards away for low light tests.

The VX-6 is gone.

vitaminado

So far I have never seen any Vortex of any price match my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 for "clarity and sharpness." If you spend an hour on Amazon you can find one for less than $700. Both mine are crystal clear throughout the magnification range. When set on 24X I can see 6.5mm bullet holes in cardboard at 410 yards.

Wildcatter that is good to hear I bought a 6500 2.5-16 not to long ago for my lightweight build but am now leaning toward a light leupold. No as wide of mag range but 6 ounces lighter.

snox801

Wildcatter that is good to hear I bought a 6500 2.5-16 not to long ago for my lightweight build but am now leaning toward a light leupold. No as wide of mag range but 6 ounces lighter.

The reason I used 24X was I put it on the same magnification the Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 was on. I recently sold the VX-6 because it stopped at 24X. Until I find a similar value I will be using Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50.

You might be just as happy with the Leupold. I had three 2 1/2-16X and they are all gone. None of them had glass better than my 4200 4-16X40.

Six ounces is a very significant amount of reduction. Don't forget to look into Hastings Micro-cell recoil pads. They are about half the weight of Decelerators. Mine is 1.26" and weighs 2.9 ounces.

snox801

The reason I used 24X was I put it on the same magnification the Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 was on. I recently sold the VX-6 because it stopped at 24X. Until I find a similar value I will be using Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50.

You might be just as happy with the Leupold. I had three 2 1/2-16X and they are all gone. None of them had glass better than my 4200 4-16X40.

Six ounces is a very significant amount of reduction. Don't forget to look into Hastings Micro-cell recoil pads. They are about half the weight of Decelerators. Mine is 1.26" and weighs 2.9 ounces.

Yep already have that down as my recoil pad. Having ti screws made to hold it on. Leaning towards the leupold from some advice from the gentle man at prof and was shocked at the weight. Doesn't go as low as I'd like on zoom but guess it's a fair trade for the weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.