Best LR Scope under $700?

megastink

Looking for opinions:

Looking for a scope to put on my .308 that will allow me to hit deer out to 600 yards. It has to have the following:

-FFP, Glass etched reticle
-Mil/mil or MOA/MOA (I dont really care)
-The best glass in its catergory
-Variable power (9x-16x MAX power setting)
-Range-estimating reticle
-30mm tube
-repeatable, positive 'no-play' turrets
-reliability
-SUB $700 MSRP

Preferences:
-50mm objective
-side focus

-Any help is appreciated. If you have a suggestion, feel free to post pictures of the optic, particularly through the glass. Thanks everyone!

-Joe

Optics planet has the Viper Vortex PST for $699 i believe. Best for your money out there.

cameraland has the same price on the scope (2 FP), but is giving 15% off on all tactical scopes through christmas.

falcon menace is a good scope for the price. decent glass, good reticle, mil mil, FFP good power selection. ive had one on my 308 for a while now and am still happy with it.

One option I would have you look strongly at is SWFA's SS 3-9x40. It fills almost every need you are looking for and it is under budget! They had them on sale for black Friday. Not sure if they still do.

It has a Mil quad reticle in FFP so you can range with it. It has very good glass. You don't need AO if you keep your max power at 10x or below so this keeps weight and the profile down. And 9x is more than enough for deer to 600 yards and even further. Their turrets are excellent. I am not sure you can get better turrets for twice the money. 30mm tube, 19 oz.

Until recently they have been known more for just being exceptionally tough scopes with excellent repeatable turrets. But over the last couple years they have added much improved glass, new reticle designs and even beefier turrets. They are now an excellent all round scope IMO.

I have one and love it. Very tough to beat IMO. If they ever come out with a 3-15 or 4-16 it would be really hard for me to have a need for another brand. They are that good.

Some links that may help in your research

The Optics Talk Forums - New Reticles for the SWFA 3-9X42 SS and 10X42HD - Page 1

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

The Optics Talk Forums - New SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP and 10x42 HD - Page 1

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/new-reticles-swfa-3-9x42-ss-10x42hd-73721/

I will second the recommendation on the Weaver tactical. Saw the reviews and bought one and was so impressed immediately picked up a second.

I'm sure the Vortex is great, but I really want a FFP reticle. I'm torn between the SS 3-9x42 and the Weaver Tactical. Both have great reviews.

Hows the tracking on the Weaver?

I'm sure the Vortex is great, but I really want a FFP reticle. I'm torn between the SS 3-9x42 and the Weaver Tactical. Both have great reviews.

Hows the tracking on the Weaver?

On the scope my buddy has it's awesome! It has comparable tracking and return to zero to my high-end Leupolds and Sightron.

And all my other Weavers (I personally don't have a tactical one) track and return to zero with excellent and repeatable results.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.