Best gun action

Interesting post. The OP indicated a preference for a factory/mass produced action, the Howa. Many have indicated a custom action. It think it would be better to indicate your preference/favorite for each category. Me, I think a lot of the Howas and Rems in factory. In custom actions, I don't have any experience.

I have read on several shooter's websites that the Howa is underrated. I've looked at them, but never owned or shot one. I'd bet money that a Howa action could be built into a very accurate custom rifle. I know that aftermarket stocks and triggers are available for them.

I believe that the Weatherby Vanguard M.O.A. rifle is built by Howa. When a factory rifle will guarantee 1 moa accuracy, there can't be very much wrong with the action.

Tom

Agreed. The Vanguards are Howas/howa built. I've compared and shot the Howa 1500(own the howa myself) SXS to the Vanguard and they're nearly twins (there are very few differences). Now they're coming out with the Vanguard S2, promoting a better trigger, MOA guarentee and a great price. I'm thinking if people like the trigger they'll sell like hotcakes.

The post was, best gun action, regardless of price. He alluded that a mark 5 was nice. He question was searching. Defiance was the founder and president of Nesika Bay, then later pres or VP of Phoenix machine. He currently makes actions for several gunsmiths and some that are mentioned on this forum, with their namesake on them. I like the action, a friend just had 3 drop port customs made, and one, not his shot a 100 5.2'', in its first 1000 bench shoot.They are a nice action, with many options.

The action, like very other component in a rifle, is a bunch of compromises.

weight vs rigidity
tight tolerance vs reliability in the field
etc...

I wouldn't use a BAT for hunting dangerous game.

And, I wouldn't use a Mauser 98 for benchrest competition.

That said, I bought a Stiller TAC-30 for my first custom build and am eager to see how it turns out as a fairly well-rounded rifle.

Besides... if money's no object, why stop at only one rifle/action?

-- richard

So all that adds up in my head as, really, there are prolly two different "bests". The big actions like the Raptor may do everything, but it is large. For the boomers like the 375-408 Chey Tac, this may be the best thing out. But if you're building a 7RSAUM, maybe a BAT is a better choice?

Kirby, any plans for an ultra light but still long action model of the Raptor?

I'm liking what sp6x6 did with his 338 Norma Mag with composite wrapped barrel and all for a mountain carry rifle. Everything under 9lbs and shoots lasers (almost!).

rscott5028,

First good answer I've seen to this question.

The rest of the question wasn't asked; action for what? Remington M700s dominated (still do) Silhouette competition, and you'd NEVER see a Win M70 at these matches. For the longest time, Winchester 70s dominated High Power Across the Course and Long range events, and you never saw a Rem M700. There's reasons for this. Each was ideally suited to that particular type of competition, and had drawbacks for the other. Same's true for virtually every other action we may want to discuss here.

You can't answer the question of "which action is best?" without setting some very definate parameters as to what it will be used for.

Cost is a big part of it. All things considered, rem 700 wins hands down for me.

Without a price tag to worry about, I'd be running all types of custom actions: Allen's, Surgeons, stillers....

My most precise rifles are a Tikka M595 in .260 Remington hunting rifle, a Winchester M70 long range rifle in .30-06 and a Remington M700 silhouette rifle in. 260 Remington. I also own a SAKO AII in .243 winchester that is outstanding, without any modifications, other than a trigger job.

The most precise rifle I have ever owned was a much-maligned and poo-pooed post-'64 Winchester M70 varmint rifle in .243. made in the early 1970's. This rifle, without any modifications whatsoever, had the ability to consistently produce dime-sized groups at 200 meters with Hornady 75 gr. HP bullets.

Precision is the result of various components coming together:
a) A rifle action with precise dimensions and a tuned trigger.
b) A good quality rifle barrel
c) A good quality scope mounted in solid bases/rings
d) Good quality, dimensionally correct brass
e) Carefully tailored loads or good quality match-grade ammo.

In my humble opinion, any rifle action from a reputable manufacturer that has been trued-up and mated with a good quality barrel and trigger will do the job for long-range shooting. Specific action types are a mostly matter of personal preference.

Do your homework and you will be rewarded.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.