Best gun to customize?

parlaan

Just moved in from Melbourne, Australia, now in Da
What rifle (and if Remington 700 please say which model) do you think is the easiest rifle to make accurate? I am going to buy a rifle and give it some serious tune ups, which rifle would be easiest and have the most potential. Please remember that this is strictly your opinion of the easiest rifle to customize with the highest potential. And if your wondering I am going to get a .300 winchester magnum.

Well if your gonna buy a rifle and rebuild it then I would say the Remington 700 in the Sendero model , that way you'll have a good stock and action to start with , then have it rebarreled if it doesen't shoot well.

But about any rifle can be made to shoot well it just depends on what your wanting to do and willing to spend.

A better question would be exactly what is it your wanting to get and get out of it

Parlan, I would say Remington 700 Sendero, have the action trued, barrel crowned, stock bedded, and add a nice Jewel trigger and you will have a rifle that will shoot under 1/2 MOA with good hand loads. All this will cost around $500 to $600, but it will be well worth the money.

Jake

Or you could buy an already accurate savage and take your upgrade money and buy good glass!!!!!!

Parlaan, the sendero already has a HS precsion stock on it. You can buy a used sendero for $600 and it already has a $260 stock on it.

I still say you are making a mistake with a 300 win mag but YMMV.

Another vote for a savage. The next gun I build I'm going to try a savage. Get a good trigger from sss, barrrel and stock. Then bed it and put some nice glass on it.

[ QUOTE ]
I need the .300 winchester magnum because I will be shooting big game like big elk and small moose at up to 500 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi i would also go with a Remington Sendaro Bed and true the action and have a muzzle break fitted along with a re crown also have the trigger adjusted and honed but i would not go with the 300 Win MAg go with the 300 Ultra MAg as it will give you much more energy and also shoot heavier projectiles faster allowing you to have less wind drift and the wind drift is the factor that is the hardest to exactly estimate as laser range finders can get your elevation spot on so you only have to wory about wind. I would also use the new Wildcat 210gr ULD projectiles Richare has excelled in his new design they should perform awsome on game with much higher BC's or go the old faith full the 240gr Sierra MAtchKing they should stabalise in the factory barrel fine and most sendaro's shoot well under 1/2MOA with the bedding and truing.

Cheers Bill
Australia

PS i am sory i could never own a Savage no matter how well it shoots. They are so ugley their mother could not even love them. And the aftermarket barrels that you are getting as pre fit are only as good as a good factory sendaro barrel. If you fit a new barrel make it a Match Barrel or leave the factory barrel where it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.