Best Factory Ammo for .30-06

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Double Drops, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Double Drops

Double Drops Member

I realize each gun shoots different loads better, but I'm just curious to know what factory ammo out there people have had good luck with in .30-06. I'm going to be using this for deer hunting.

2. D B Cooper

D B Cooper Member

If I want to use factory ammo to get the best out of a new rifle, I'll usually try to find some Federal Premium. In my experience just about any caliber will shoot very well if it's a good rifle and I do my part.

3. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

I like to shoot the Federal Premium High Energy with the 165g Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. I've chrono'd it at just under 3000fps. My old Savage shoots them quite well.

Killed every animal that I've poked with one. In fact, I've got a used bullet here at my desk that is a perfect mushroom that punched through a cow elk at 400 yards. Found it in the hide on the far side.

4. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

I to would say the Federal Premium ammo also. If deer hunting I would go with the 150 gr Sierra BTSP bullet or the Nosler Ballistic Tip. These have done a very good job for me in my hand loads.

5. hogwild

hogwild Well-Known Member

As far as factory ammo goes I have seen very few rifles that won't shoot Remington Core-lokts with very good accuracy. While core-lokts may not be the best constructed bullet out there they do seem accurate. I'm thinking your best bet is to try some different ammo brands to see what your gun likes.

6. soren

soren Well-Known Member

You need to find the load that your rifle likes. I have a Tikka T3 .243 that shoots better with "cheap" Monarch and Fusion ammo than the Fed. Premium. Just because it is more expensive does not guarantee better results.

7. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

i shoot 99% handloads. i have shot fed high energy 180 nosler partitions. great groups . would work great for deer even though most would think of it as an "elk" load

8. 3006savage

3006savage Well-Known Member

165 Grain Interbond Light Magnums by Hornady offered me good performance. I chrony 2950 with them from a 22" barrel and they shoot around an inch at 100 yards. The Interbond expands well and penetration is good also.