Best 25-06 factory ammo for Elk

I have only shoot an antelope with the 25-06. I know a few people that have shot elk with cheap factory ammo in the 25-06. I would use the Federal 115 partitions or the fusion 120gr.

First off, I know that 25-06 is on the small end for elk. I know a lot of people advise not shooting anything smaller than a 300 win mag at Elk. I'm well aware of the limitations of using a 25-06 for elk. However, I do know that a lot of people have harvested elk with a 25-06. For those that have had experience with harvesting Elk with a 25-06 or are familiar with the cartridge, what factory ammo would you recommend?

Would you go something like Federal Premium 115gr partition, Federal Premium 110 Accubond, or something like a 100 grain mono (Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX, Federal Trophy Copper Tipped)?

It will be my son's first year to hunt, and he is very small for his age. He is always among the smallest in his entire grade. Very small frame. I don't want him developing a flinch at such a young age. I figure I would back up his shot with my 30-06 in case the elk doesn't look like it is going down.

I know I could maybe move up in caliber with a good muzzle break, but I really don't like them. I would like to hear from the 25-06 people what rounds they have had success with.
Use the heaviest Barnes LRX or TTSX bullets you can find. They will handle an elk is properly placed shots are obtained.

I have taken 2 elk with a 25-06 handloads using 117 SGK's. I would recommend keeping your shots within 500 yards, but the 25-06 is very capable of harvesting an elk.

Where we hunt, the furthest shot we've had to take on the last three bulls harvested was 275 yards. I think 250 will be the max I let my son take. Lots of practice beforehand, of course.

Use the heaviest Barnes LRX or TTSX bullets you can find. They will handle an elk is properly placed shots are obtained.

Sounds like the Partitions or the heaviest monos gets the most votes.

I was "really small for my age" too, and I'm really pleased to see a Dad being sensitive to what recoil does to a kid. Hey, when I was 9 I weighed about 40 lbs! If it was me, I'd go down a mite more (7-08? 30-30?) and toss the muzzle brakes in the scrap pile too. 30-30's have killed a mountain of elk. Muzzle blast is often sensed very much like recoil, and often worse. Just teach the lad to really hunt, and sniper-stalk another 100 yards if you must. You're building a hunting partner for life.

I've learned you've got to see a whole bunch of elk before you have a shooting chance, and you've got to have a shooting chance at 3 or more elk before you actually shoot one.

I've seen too many wives and GF's fire one shot from a magnum and say "Not for me!" One shot, and a lifetime of hunts with a great hunting partner is ... GONE!

My first deer/elk rifle? A M94, .32-40. Bullet placement works, and nothing else does. The improperly placed bullet from a shoulder-howitzer often really hurts on the wrong end and only wounds on the other. Don't be afraid of being in position and "paying the insurance" upon the instant when your son takes a shot. Just explain so he understands and approves beforehand.... It's his shot and you're his backup. (That's what the PH would do if the game was Lion or Cape Buffalo!)

My own father cut off the butt of my mother's 20 guage pump for me and put a thin rubber sleeve over it. But he didn't think to put a nice thick and soft recoil pad inside the sleeve. My shoulder was often a deep purple. I was bird-crazy to hunt, but I sure hated to shoot that thing!

if your son is below average in size, give him a smaller rifle & caliber,maybe borrow someones Youth sized Rifle, with you by his side you'll still be backing him up,some poster mentioned 708 Or 30/30 , I hunted Deer with a 30/30 and I was big for my size, point is its his 1st hunt make it as enjoyable as you can, said with RESPECT, love the 25/06 and own a beauty, but ive never seen one in a Youth model, he'll need practice , but its got to fit him , 243 ,260, etc,etc. factory ammo Partitions always great, Barnes even better, the new Federal trophy bullets, should be great, they don't load them unless they are. Your a Good Father carry on!, Cheer's!!!

Angle and shot placement are the keys to taking elk! 25-06 will work fine! I've shot many elk with my 25-06. Bullets in the 100 grain range work best....Bonded and mono bullets are better... But bottom line shoot what he shoots best! Practice practice practice!!! A well placed bullet at moderate range and he will be successful!

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone tried the HSM 115 VLD factory ammo? The specs on it look pretty darn good. The only question is if the 115 VLD is a tough enough bullet...?
I have used the 115 Berger VLD for years out of my 25-06 and have never had one go more then 50 yards with it. I have also used Speer 120 Gr BTSP's with great success on Elk, and Mule Deer... I have NOT had luck with Barnes bullets. You probably have a 1 in 10 twist in your stock 25-06 so that kinda rules out Hammer bullets. For my 2 cent's I would go with the Berger with the Speer BTSP as a close second. The 25 is a great starter caliber and is plenty of rifle to reach out 400 yards or more for big Mule deer and Elk..

My buddy that ranches out west has used Partitions with good luck. He laughs at whatever RUM or RSAUM I bring along

I have never even had the opportunity to hunt elk but I have killed a train car load of deer with the 25-06. I myself would have no problem using the 25-06 on elk. I would limit my shots to a max of 350 yards to keep velocity up and if limited to factory ammo it would be Federal 115 Nosler Partition, I hand load everything and have used the 115 Partition to shoot some deer and never was able to recovered one because it was a pass through. I always said that if I ever got the chance to elk hunt and used my 25-06 it would be loaded with some OLD STYLE Speer 120 Grand Slams to 3000 fps. I have a load worked up and have killed deer with this bullet and it is a TOUGH bullet. I did recover one from a big body buck that I shot at 30 yards that was facing me in the center of it's chest. It dropped in it's tracks. I found the bullet under the hide of the right side ham. Bullet penetrated completely through the buck and smashed through it's right hip ball socket and was found under the hide. Recovered weight was 87 grs and was a text book mushroom.

First off, I know that 25-06 is on the small end for elk. I know a lot of people advise not shooting anything smaller than a 300 win mag at Elk. I'm well aware of the limitations of using a 25-06 for elk. However, I do know that a lot of people have harvested elk with a 25-06. For those that have had experience with harvesting Elk with a 25-06 or are familiar with the cartridge, what factory ammo would you recommend?

Would you go something like Federal Premium 115gr partition, Federal Premium 110 Accubond, or something like a 100 grain mono (Barnes TTSX, Hornady GMX, Federal Trophy Copper Tipped)?

It will be my son's first year to hunt, and he is very small for his age. He is always among the smallest in his entire grade. Very small frame. I don't want him developing a flinch at such a young age. I figure I would back up his shot with my 30-06 in case the elk doesn't look like it is going down.

I know I could maybe move up in caliber with a good muzzle break, but I really don't like them. I would like to hear from the 25-06 people what rounds they have had success with.
This caliber is no softie. IF you can find the ammunition, i would stick with Hornady or Remington core lokt at 117 or 120 grains. And use a 24 or 26 inch barrel. Finally, sight in at 2 inches high at 50 yards -- for most ammunition this means dead on at 275 to 300 y