Best 300WM ammo for elk

Clndesl

Ok first off I want to say Hello. I am new to the site and I am trying to get into longer range shoots on elk. I have a Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse with the BOSS Muzzle break and Leupold VXII-4x12x40 w/ duplex recticle. I just got the rifle and have never hunted with it. I can consistantly shoot 1/2" to 1" groups at 100yds with federal premium 180gr. My question is what ammo is straight shooting at 5-800 yard kill shots. I also was curious what else I might need to make those shots. Im going to Colorado on Nov 3rd so I wanna be ready to go thanks in advance.

Nice rifle, question is, how much practice have you had at 250+ yards? If none, it doesnt matter how good a shot you are at 100, you arent ready for 800 yards. 300, 400 yards, sure. I would suggest either the accubonds, or partitions. Accubonds hold velocity better due to a better BC. I myself use partitions in both 300 calibers I own. 180s in the wifes 300win, and 200gr in my 300RUM. If you are getting 1" groups, at 100yards, do you know how big that group just may be at 800 yards?

OP, if your looking to stretch it out, which is going to be hard unless you've changed elevation turrets on your VX-II. The best bet is with the Spitzer boat tail bullets like the Accubond, Interbond, TTSX, Scirocco, etc. The flat base bullets like the Partition, A-Frame are great bullets for sure, however, the flat base does not lend itself as well to long range shooting. Will they work? Of course, with more drift, more drop & less pop at range than the same weight boat tail.

Now, i'm guessing (i know, i know), that you are looking for factory loads, so your selection is going to be reduced compared to those of us who handload unless you order from a custom loading company such as Superior etc.

If you pick the TTSX, TSX, MRX, Scirocco etc. DO NOT mix these bullets with conventional jacketed bullets; the material in these bullets are different & will foul your bore badly as the two different materials layer up (ask me how I know that :)). Start with a VERY clean bore before shooting these & you will be MUCH happier...

Take the time to play around at the ranges you're talking about & get to know how much drop you are going to have when moving from your zero to 400+. If you're really serious about long range, it may be worth upgrading your optics.

Last edited:
Yeah, i am starting to figure out I am at my limits with my current scope. I have been looking at the viper vortex hs long range. Do you guys think this would get the job done. Thanks for the suggestions on ammo and I will look into that.

I can't tell you anything about the Vortex line of scopes as I don't have any. I would suggest you jump into the Optics Thread & start browsing, multiple discussions about most every scope out there.

& you're welcome, we're all here to learn.

I am currently using .200gr NAB (.210gr Berger and .208 A-Max still being developed) on my SAKOM995 1:11 twist. As others have already noted, you have plenty of premium bullets to choose from, you need good optics (although on capable hands, what you have will, but it does not happen overnight), and of course practice, practice, practice ...

You also need equipment for your environmental factors, i.e., a good rangefinder, weather station (for temp, altitude, winds ...), etc...

Good luck!

Ed

Just my experience - I have taken 2 elk with my 300 win mag. One at 620 yds and one at 150 yds. Both with 180 gr swift scirrocco and 2975 fps. The one at 620 dropped on the spot with a shoulder shot and the one at 150 yds ran about 10 yds with a shoulder shot. Neither got a pass thru. I have been very well please with the scirroccos.

However, this year I will be testing out 190 Berger VLD's....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.